1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1996 XLT - Installing new subs/amp to factory deck...need help

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by Blind, December 24, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Blind

Blind Member

City, State:
      Half Moon Bay, CA
      I have located what appears to be the factory amp/tuner (has 2 grey plugs with many wires, and a radio antenna lead) in the drivers side rear panel.

The passenger side rear panel however doesn't have a sub in it from what I can see, it has a little cargo holder and a webbed net there.

The truck is a `96 XLT with 6 cd changer/cassette.

I have an MTX class D amp with line level inputs, and need to locate what wire pairs to use for the input from the factory amp in the rear panel.

does anyone have a diagram for this? I bought a chiltons manual today and the damn thing doesn't have any radio schematics at all.

btw - the wire colors going into the amp do not make sense, most factory decks (like in my mustang) have easily distinguished wire pairs for each speaker, with a red, yellow, and black for powering the stereo. whats up with this amp setup?

--short version--
      I'm installing a seperate amp to power subs to the existing factory headunit and need to know where to get a line-level input.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. huskyfan23

huskyfan23 Rah no Hans Bwix

City, State:
      WA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1994 XLT 4x4
      The amp is in the passenger-side rear panel. You've gotta actually pull that big plastic thing out. Don't see why an amp would have an antenna lead....

4. Blind

Blind Member

City, State:
      Half Moon Bay, CA
      yes I have found that, what I need is an identification of the wires there.

I'll gladly take a pic of it to show the antenna lead if you dont believe me :p

5. Blind

Blind Member

City, State:
      Half Moon Bay, CA
      alright...nevermind...it appears that which I thought was the amp/tuner is actually the alarm of the truck? After I unplugged it and did some testing with my multi-meter...then plugged it back in, my alarm started going off. I didn't even know the truck had an alarm, all I have is the ford keyless entry on my keychain with the "panic" button.

Can anyone help me find the factory amp in my `96 with the 6cd changer, but no factory sub?

6. huskyfan23

huskyfan23 Rah no Hans Bwix

City, State:
      WA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1994 XLT 4x4
      Already told you.. try looking there. PASSENGER side.

7. Blind

Blind Member

City, State:
      Half Moon Bay, CA