• Register Today It's free!

1997 eddie bauer Starter help?

Samwise

Reaction score
City, State
Prescott Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer
since the truck has been sitting around for a while I decided to try to fix her up. She has a new battery but she still won't crank or start all I hear is a singe Clank noise. so I got underneath it to clean up the connections to the starter and I still had the same problem. so I'm guessing it's a starter problem. My question is, how do I get that darn thing out? I can reach the bottom nut but the top nut is darn near impossible to reach. Anyone have any experience in this area?
It's a v6 engine. would you suggest any other troubleshooting tests before I go straight to the starter?
headlights are bright, dash lights turn on etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should probably do more methodical troubleshooting before yanking the starter out. There is a good chance that you have corroded cables or poor battery to ground connection, for example. You may also have a bad solenoid/relay. I am no expert on starter problems, but other members are and will certainly chime in. However, there is one important detail before you solicit help: three different engines (V6 OHV, V6 SOHC, and V8) were used on that year Explorers, and you should indicate which one of those you have. If you don't know, just post the eighth character of the VIN - that's the engine code.

I know very little about maintenance and since the truck has been sitting around for a while I decided to try to fix her up. She has a new battery but she still won't crank or start all I hear is a singe Clank noise. so I got underneath it to clean up the connections to the starter and I still had the same problem. so I'm guessing it's a starter problem. My question is, how do I get that darn thing out? I can reach the bottom nut but the top nut is darn near impossible to reach. Anyone have any experience in this area?

apply the good old 12 volts right to the starter. and eliminate all the wiring...

Update* So we removed the starter after checking cables and voltage to make sure. we tested the starter and it's in perfect working order. checked all the fuses and they're all in perfect condition. What could the problem be? could the engine be frozen?

You can check if the engine is seized by putting a wrench (a socket with extension) on the harmonic balance nut. To avoid injury, make sure ignition is off! It should turn fairly easily.
I doubt that checking a starter outside of the engine would tell you a lot. Even though it turns with no load, may still not provide enough torque to crank an engine.
Update* So we removed the starter after checking cables and voltage to make sure. we tested the starter and it's in perfect working order. checked all the fuses and they're all in perfect condition. What could the problem be? could the engine be frozen?

Back