1997 Explorer 5.0L, General questions - should I be concerned? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer 5.0L, General questions - should I be concerned?

williams.cory

Reaction score
City, State
Rust Filled, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 5.0
Hello all,
I have a 1997 5.0L with 207,000 miles. I have just a couple questions that I need help with. First off, how long should it take for the tranny to engage into Drive from "P"? It take mine about a second to engage ( sometimes a little less - sometimes it engages immediatly ). Is this of any concern? Also, when slowing down, I hear a "thump" when I slow around 10 MPH. Like the trans. is shifting down to first gear. Sometimes it thumps, other times if I come to a stop really slow then I dont hear the thump. I have read that it could also be the drivetrain doing the thump?

Thanks, Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The thump is probably just worn components in the drive train nothing to worry about. As far as Shifting from Drive to Park, As long as its shifting I would be happy as it has that many miles on it.

Welcome to the Forum

I have a firend I met online. He has a '98 Explorer with 230,000 miles and he is putting all kings of mods on it. He has the original tranny and motor nothing done to them. He says that the tranny they put in the 5.0 are really tough and better than the one they put in the 4.0. Whenever I shift it from drive to reverse it also does a thump.

Oh yea, it only thumps from drive to reverse, not reverse to drive or any other gear.

If that's the case then its defiantly just the drive line making the clunk.

Try the rear end. My rear bearing went on my differential, and that's what caused the clunk.

I would say the rear end is prolly worn out. I put a rear end in my ranger from a 97 expo with 175K miles on it. After I did that when i go to let the clutch out in reverse, it clunks. It does it as well as I let it out when im in first but not as loudly. The rearend i took out of it had 120k on it. i would imagine that the weight of the expo puts more wear on the drivetrain so that the reason thet the expo rear end does that in my ranger.

Thank you for the info. I will be checking it out tomarrow. Im happy if its just that. Just as long as theres nothing wrong with the tranny.

1996 5.0 w/ 309k

My 96 has had a weird thud when slowing down around 10 mph since I bought it. Feels more like a quick downshift than a clunk. Very solid vehicle though.

My 96 has had a weird thud when slowing down around 10 mph since I bought it. Feels more like a quick downshift than a clunk. Very solid vehicle though.

mine does the same thing and even when i updated the pcm with the latest software (i work at a dealership) it still does it, the tsb update was *harsh or firm downshift from 2nd to 1st* all i can say is mine has been doin it since i got her 10k ago- and ill run 'er into the ground b4 i get rid of her! :salute: :thumbsup: ;)

yay! cory finally joined the forum ^_^ lol welcome buddy. i feel special being mentioned and all lol.

yay! cory finally joined the forum ^_^ lol welcome buddy. i feel special being mentioned and all lol.

lol. You like that buddy??? I use your Explorer as hope for mine haha... Its so cool to see you have so many miles on it and put mods on it and race it at the track. I like to brag about yours! lol.:D

I'm not as concerned now that I know there are others who have this 'clunk' besides me. Besides the clunk and everything I love this Explorer!!! A excellent vehicle! Will be very heartbroken to get rid of it when the day comes...:(

Does your rear diffy seal leak? I replaced mine, screwed it up, and that's what caused my problem. I had it changed again where the guy told me that it needed the bearing, so he just "tightened it down real good" and it leaked worse, and the clunk was worse. I got an entire rear axle at the junk yard for $100, and swapped it, but I'm not sure that one is great either. I kept the original, and will either rebuilt it one day, or have it rebuilt.

The diff seal does not leak. Infact nothing is leaking underneath it, its dry as a bone. One of these days I want to take it in to see what a mechanic says. But I'm very leary as to what mechanic to take it to. I want one that will tell me the truth and not take me for a ride just so he can make some money off me. I wish we still lived in Wyoming because we had an AWESOME mechanic there! Trusted him with everything!

its hard to find a good mechanic. me and my dad have found a good place where we know the owner and head mechanic. they help us out from time to time and they have pulled my ass out of the fire on a couple of occasions.

lol. I know. We had a mechanic that we were VERY good friends with and we took everything to him. I am still looking for another one like him, but I don't think I will ever find one as good as him!

Yeah, take it to 3, and you'll probably get 3 different answers. I had to have the rear main seal on my truck replaced, so they pulled the tranny. I get it back, and there is this popping sound under hard acceleration, or heavy load. They say I needed the whole front end rebuilt, 'cause it's got a lot of miles on it, so who knows what it is. I drive it some more, and decided that it was the transfer case. There were going to charge me something like $1500 to rebuilt the whole front end, and then $2500 to do the transfer case. I did it for $200. I usually take it to two places, and usually get 2 different diagnosis. At least at the dealer, if they fix the wrong thing, you usually don't pay for it.

wow. That must have sucked! I bet you won't be going to that mechanic anymore! lol. I read a sotry the other day that this guy had a 2007 F-150 that sounded like a diesel. So he took it in and the mechanic said that the passenger side cam sensor had to be replaced. So he replaced it and it still sounded like a diesel. He took it back in and he asked if it could be the driver side cam sensor making the bad sound. Mechanic took a look at it and said the sensor was fine, but he also said that he would need a new motor! So the guy took it somewhere else and the mechanic there said it was the driver side cam sensor. After replacing that his truck was fixed! Imagine that! That first mechanic just wanted some extra hours and he prolly would have said to the guy with the F-150 that he would take care of the motor for him. The mechanic would probably turn around and fix the problem that he knows is wrong with it and sell the motor or use it for something.

Back