1997 Explorer gears not engaging | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exploring007

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi guys,
Having problems with my gears engaging. Story goes whilst driving I accidentally hit the gear in neutral without realising, went to accelerate realised it was just revving and whilst still accelerating hit it into drive. Car made a couple of bangs and now it wont engage into any gears. When I put it in drive or reverse it just revvs but does not move.
Got the torque converter checked out and there were only minor issues that wouldn't cause this problem. From what I can see, Transmission looks fine from the outside, no metal filings in the oil and the input shaft rotates as it should. Transfer case seems to be functioning fine as well from the outside.
Out of ideas at the moment with what could be wrong, so any help is greatly appreciated!
Car is an automatic and 4 litre 6 cylinder XLT model.
Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also to add, the car DOES engage in park but not in any of the other gears

Going from drive to neutral and back into drive while moving shouldn't have damaged the transmission.

Whilst changing from neutral to drive though the car was also still revving

Sent the box off for inspection to a ford dealership/transmission department, disassembled transmission no faults were found they also confirmed that the transfer case was operating correctly. Have now re-installed the transmission and transfer case and all gears are working fine except for first gear. If drive is selected there is no engaging of first gear need to select second gear and then shift into drive for the transmission to work correctly. If first gear is selected some noises are heard from the transmission and no forward drive occurs. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I recently had the same type issue. When going from park to drive I had a distinct noise and then couldn't go in drive. I put in second and it drives fine. The kicker was that I still had reverse. Therefore I knew it wasn't the first/reverse servo I called my buddy a trans mechanic and he said I have a blown valve body gasket. It's problem few explorers have had. I have seen multiple threads about it posted in the forum.

Back