1997 Explorer License Plate Lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer License Plate Lights

Ethanh333

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer Explorer
I've been working to make my license plate lights function all day. It began with me replacing the bulbs (which didnt work when I bought the vehicle three years ago). The old ones were well corroded, but I got them out, cleaned the attachment spot, and placed the new ones inside. I then checked every single fuse my vehicle has - and they were all fine. I unhooked the tail lights (whcih work) and cleaned every spot i could there, but the license lights remained out.

I noticed however that the previous owner has installed a trailer port to give a trailer brake lights (whatever its called) and he spliced the wires leading to the license lights. I imagine that someone has run into this before and was curious if its common to take the power/ wires from the license lights and use them for the trailer hookup? Or if there are any other suggestions someone could offer.

Thanks fellas.:usa::usa::usa::usa:

Mine has a similar set up. I removed the trailer connection (didn't need it and it looked like a U-Haul install) and disconnected a strange spliced in white wire that ran from the license plate lights to the wiring loom. Taped up and wire tied everything nice and neat, tried it and noticed I lost the rear running lights. After checking everything for 1/2 hour, I reconnected that white wire and everything worked again. So it looks like my rear running lights are powered by the license plates lights. Go figure :confused:

Back