1997 explorer loses all power while driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 explorer loses all power while driving

gachikoo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello,

So my 97 ford explorer began stalling when driving the other day. when it stalls all electrical components die. I found that if I opened the hood and moved the positive battery cable around a little that it would eventually be able to start up.
I live in houston so its cold enough outside to cause this. I doubt it is the alternator because the car will start up just fine after moving the cable. It might be short but this only happens when in drive so I'm not sure. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the case/fix?

thanks

Okay...forgive me, but what you call cold in Houston is almost laughable to those of us in northern states like my own (MN) who endure below zero temps/windchills that you can't even fathom. And yet, vehicles are still able to start and run. Trust me...cold weather has nothing to do with battery cables (or, any other wiring) making a good connection. If, in fact, moving the positive cable around does provide an adequate connection to get the truck started, then obviously that should be your main focus. Are the cable ends & posts clean? Are they tightened down on the posts (should not be able to wiggle them around without loosening)? Cables can corrode inside the protective jacket and cause problems. I'd try replacing the suspect cable and see if that cures the problem. It's a cheap fix and hopefully, will be the end of it. I do agree that the alternator seems to be fine as the battery appears to have a good charge to restart the truck.

Next thing you (and anybody else who doesn't already own one) needs to do is buy an inexpensive multimeter. You can use it to check continuity, alternator voltage output and battery charge...among many other things.

Back