1997 Explorer Sport Control Trac 4X4 NO REVERSE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer Sport Control Trac 4X4 NO REVERSE

cjc1989

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer sport
I've recently lost reverse, and a trusted mechanic friend of mine suggested it could be a solenoid. I changed the filter & fluid; also, there were no signs of anything loose or coming apart. I was just wondering if purchasing a new valve body, with all new solenoids could help my problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It might be a problem with the reverse servo, or the low/reverse band. Do you have engine braking in manual 1st gear? Also, how many miles do you have on your transmission? Do some searching here, and in the transmission sub-forum, for 5R55E no reverse. Lots of reading to do.

I would imagine a valve body rebuild would not be a bad thing for a transmission of that age (the valve bores are prone to wear, as is the EPC solenoid) , but to say that would cure the problem, I doubt it. That is a fairly complicated transmission, with MANY possible causes, so I would not just put parts on without a more thorough diagnosis. Do some more research.

The transmission has around 230xxx miles on it. I have engine breaking in manual first, and also the o/d light flashes sometimes causing a rough shift into second and third.

Get the transmission codes read. Do you have Torque Converter Clutch lock-up at highway speeds?

It does fine at highway speeds. When the overdrive lights not blinking its shifts like a brand new trans but when it does blink it shifts hard into second and third.

Back