1997 Ford Explorer Has fuel supply issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Explorer Has fuel supply issue

rockntommy

Reaction score
City, State
Whiting New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
I just had a new fuel pump installed on my 1997 ford explorer sport because all it would do is crank and not start.. Only after 2 days getting it back from shop it is having same issue and fuel pump is not coming on again.
Would my security button on my key chain have anything to do with this not starting? I can hear the relay clicking and the Inertia Button is in. Don;t know what else it could be
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a long shot--

While turning on the key-"wiggle" the fuel pump relay. If you hear the fuel pump run while or after doing this the relay could be bad, or, the connection down in the socket could be intermittent.

Does the theft light flash rapidly while the engine cranks over?

Just a long shot--

While turning on the key-"wiggle" the fuel pump relay. If you hear the fuel pump run while or after doing this the relay could be bad, or, the connection down in the socket could be intermittent.

Does the theft light flash rapidly while the engine cranks over?

I did not notice the light what is does but what if it does flash rapidly?
Thanks
Tom

I will also try the relay advice but I do feel the relay clicking if that means anything but I guess the socket could be bad or something

take it back to the shop make them fix it right...for free.

.....the Inertia Button is in. .....
This dosen't necessarily mean anything. Push the red
button in and do it two or three times. You might hear
a click. These switches have contact points inside, and
the connection deteriorates over time...

It was the connection to the Inertia switch all the time. I was charged 700.00 for nothing.
Thanks everyone for your input

That would burn me up! A little troubleshooting by your mechanic would have easily shown him the pump wasn't the issue. All he had to do is check for voltage at the pump and/or measure the resistance of the pump motor. A $15 multi meter and knowledge to use it should have saved you $700 bucks. I'd ask for labor and profit back from the shop, only paying for the cost of the part, being it wasn't the problem.

It was the connection to the Inertia switch all the time. I was charged 700.00 for nothing.
Thanks everyone for your input

Wow. Just wow. How did they justify a 700.00 charge? Sounds like you paid for their learning curve of incompetence.

They told me I needed a fuel pump.. When i got the truck back it did the same exact thing one day later.. My son and triple A tow truck driver found the problem I guess the old saying live and learn..

Back