1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

1997 ford explorer issue HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wolfpackrun, October 25, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. wolfpackrun

wolfpackrun New Member

City, State:
    waterloo, ny
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1997 ford explorer
    hi my name is stacey i have always been a ford owner most times i can work on some of the stuff my self this time is not the time lol. about a week ago my truck started making a kinda loud thump in the front by the driver side tire normally when i turn right or make a sharp turn. this morning the 4 wheel drive light was flashing on and off i checked everything 4 wheel drive was not ingauged then the windows would not go up or down any more. i was thinking fuse for the windows but not so sure about the 4 wheel drive prob. i never use it the last time it was in it got knocked by mistake and i had a hard time getting it to disingauge. any thoughts or help would be great thanks. stacey

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 1Aauto

1Aauto EF Vendor

City, State:
    mass
    92 explorer
    welcome to the site. You make want to check the front axles to see if the u-joints are bad in them. A bad axle would make a thumping noise.

4. wingman98

wingman98 New Member

City, State:
    BC
    1998 Explorer 4X4
    check the owners manual, i cant remember what fuse it is but when my explorer blew a fuse it took out the power windows and the 4x4 light was flashing. I replaced it and the problem was fixed

5. antdemoe6

antdemoe6 New Member

City, State:
    Southington Ohio
    1997 Mercury Mountaineer
    it could possibly be the hubs. mine was making a grinding/thumping noise and after i replaced the hubs on both sides it quit. Also if your ABS acts up it may be the hubs.