tenikiwon

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Yakima, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 F250/Zuk twins
This has been puzzeling me for awhile.
I don't remember it this did it when I bought it a year ago but....

When accelerating from a stop it sounds like the auto 4WD is clicking in or engaging. Also sounds similar to taking up slack in the driveline.

Anyone have a clue where this is coming from.

It's a '97 with 84,000.

I've heard many things related to auto 4 engaging. Everything from Tranny to tires.

Also, I've noticed this recently. When stopping I get a noise as well. Almost like its dropping into first (hard).

Does this sound like it's time to go tranny shopping?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a 97 W/100K

and it sounded funko. Went to drain the transfer case to put new Mercon in and only a pint of nasty looking stuff came out. There is suposed to be 1 1/2 quarts! The rear shaft seal had been leaking. Tbe car must have been power washed because there was no evidence of a leak. I did a drain and fill twice a week apart and now everything is fine. With low fluid the clutch will drag. Transfer cases are often ignored till it is too late.

you might wanna check your u-joints also...front and rear

I know this is going to make me look dumb but. where do you look and how do you go about check'n the T-case. I haven't look too hard and thought you might give me the quick answer.

Is this a quick easy fix and/or a regualr maint thing I should be doing?

How do I check?

How do I replace?

Easy or mech fix?

Thanks

Also, and I'll have to check this again. I don't think it does it in 4WD only Auto?

I'll also check in 2WD. I've pulled the fuse before and I think all was quiet. I'm going to do the switch mod and I'll let you know. Hopefully tonight.

Checking transfer case

Might as well just do a change for $3. It takes standard Mercon/Dexron III. On the back side there are two plugs with a 3/8 inch square hole that a standard ratchet fits in. The lowest one drains it out and you fill through the upper one till it over flows. I use one of the pump oil cans with the nozzel removed to fill mine. Up by the fill hole there is a black piece of plastic with two wires. This is the speed sensor and believe it or not it just pulls out. Held in by only an O-ring. Doesn't sound real "off road." It has a metal tip which is magnetic and collects metal particles. Clean this because a dirty one can fool the computer and cause the 4WD to come on.

Re: Checking transfer case

Originally posted by Opera House
Up by the fill hole there is a black piece of plastic with two wires. This is the speed sensor and believe it or not it just pulls out. Held in by only an O-ring. Doesn't sound real "off road." It has a metal tip which is magnetic and collects metal particles. Clean this because a dirty one can fool the computer and cause the 4WD to come on.

The driveshaft speed sensor is supposed to be held by a 8mm bolt in addition to the o-ring. Is your bolt missing?

The sensor is magnetic because its a Hall Effect device. It uses the change in the magnetic field (caused by the toothed ring on the shaft) to determine the speed of the driveshaft. I suppose if you had a lot of particles on the sensor, it might change the signal. In this case I would check the front driveshaft sensor also.

Originally posted by tenikiwon
This has been puzzeling me for awhile.
I
Also, I've noticed this recently. When stopping I get a noise as well. Almost like its dropping into first (hard).

I think your stopping noise might be a sticking driveshaft slip yoke.

Dead Link Removed

I have a similar noise, intermittent which feels like the trans is shifting hard. I think it might be the slip yoke, but I haven't done anything to try to fix it yet.

More Info

Ok, tonight I drove it around regular and had the noise all the time. I fliped to 4WD and nothing. Then I pulled the fuse to disable the 4WD system and nothing. Sounding like it must have something to do with the AUTO 4WD system.

It does sound like loose or worn U-joints because it's several quick thumps when you accelorate. The slower you start out the less noticealbe. I almost thought that it felt like it was following the driveshaft back, but I was prolly just make'n it up in my mind seeing as though it didn't do it in 2WD.

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully next weekend I'll get a chance to check the fluids and U-joints. Is there a special way to check the U-joints. Or do you just grab the drive shaft and see if is has play???

I searched the slip yoke prob. and that sound like the first and easiest fix. What type of gease does that use???

Where's the best place to get it.

Or should I talk with my gear-head friends and mechanics and see if they can squeeze me in??

I think it's lithium? grease. Is mentioned in the slip yoke threads. any autoparts store should have it i believe.

Problem Solved

When researching another problem I came across my old post and just thought I'd tell everyone that it was the T-case fluid.

Now onto Problem #2

Back