Solved - 1998 - 2002 Ford Explorer Stereo Wiring Diagrams ARE HERE!!!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1998 - 2002 Ford Explorer Stereo Wiring Diagrams ARE HERE!!!!!

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Switching the positive and negative on the sub will just change the direction. its like when you inverse mount a sub ( magnet out side the box, cone facing in) you are supposed to switch the phase, or just reverse negative and positive. which makes it pull air instead of pushing it. thats what i have learned. hope that helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AT DECK
--------------
+12v = lt. green/yellow
ignition = yellow/black
ground = black
amp turn on = dk. blue
illumination = orange/black
dimmer = lt. blue/red
LF Speaker (+) WHITE/RED
LF Speaker (-) BROWN
RF Speaker (+) WHITE/ORANGE
RF Speaker (-) LIGHT GREEN
LR Speaker (+) PINK/WHITE
LR Speaker (-) LIGHT BLUE
RR Speaker (+) LIGHT BLUE/BLACK
RR Speaker (-) YELLOW

-------------------------
AMP to SPEAKERS
-------------------------
LF Speaker (+) ORANGE/LT. GREEN
LF Speaker (-) LT. BLUE/WHITE
RF Speaker (+) WHITE/LT. GREEN
RF Speaker (-) DK. GREEN/ORANGE
LR Speaker (+) PINK/LT. GREEN
LR Speaker (-) TAN/YELLOW
RR Speaker (+) ORANGE/RED
RR Speaker (-) BLACK/WHITE
ty kelly...question-those color codes apply to 1994 EB Explorer Prem Sound, correct? just double chekin' .

ty

help

i have a 94 explorer xlt, just got the jbl sub set up. car originally didnt have the plug for sub amp. cut plug and integrated,. still doesnt work.... any help would be much appreciateed

Speakers will work just fine, no matter the "proper" polarity they are hooked up as.
Now with that said, when you have multiple speaker hooked up, they should ALL be the same. If not what you will notice is a loss of bass response. (while one speaker is "pushing" the other would be "pulling". (this negates sound)To find out if they are hooked up the same, close your doors and set your speaker selection for the front only, (or rear only). Listen to something with a lot of base. Now change the polarity on the speaker you just added. (swap the 2 wires around). Listen to the same piece of music again. Which way sounded louder with more bass.
Hope this helps

Curlyrl, I'm going to take your instructions 1 step further. Change the fader control to all front or all rear, then change the balance from center to all-left then all-right, if it seems to get louder all-left and all-right than in the centered position, you have one side with the phase inverted (reversed connections).

New Sub and amp

Hey all

My factory sub in my 98 Limited Edition blew and I am trying to replace it, but Im thinking I should change the amp too. I read on one of these forums that the factory amp outputs 85W, but if I want more power I have to go aftermarket. Is there a way I can wire up a new amp without having to run all new wires? Can I just use the existing harness and modify it to go into an amp? or is there RCA outputs on the stock deck (doubtful..i know..)

Please help!!! :)

Hey all

My factory sub in my 98 Limited Edition blew and I am trying to replace it, but Im thinking I should change the amp too. I read on one of these forums that the factory amp outputs 85W, but if I want more power I have to go aftermarket. Is there a way I can wire up a new amp without having to run all new wires? Can I just use the existing harness and modify it to go into an amp? or is there RCA outputs on the stock deck (doubtful..i know..)

Please help!!! :)

To run an aftermarket sub amplifier off the stock mach head unit properly requires a balanced to unbalanced (RCA) adapter such as the LOCB.2 from soundgate.
http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?...s&categoryid=409&productid=431&usereferrer=1&

I see that it is on sale at $59.95 - half off what I paid two years ago. This will convert your plus and minus sub woofer output to rca output at the proper level for any aftermarket amp. It will require running an RCA cable to the new amp. Also a more powerfull aftermarket amp will likely need new wiring for power. You would also need a 5 volt logic level to 12 volt amp turn on converter for the remote amp turn on.
http://www.lesscoelectronics.com/Peripheral_LVT_Low_Voltage_Trigger_LVT2_p/lvt lvt2.htm

This is the best method. I am sure that someone will have an alternate method.

Scucci

No audio signal to amp

Alright..ive been working on this for days now and Im getting SOO FRUSTRATED!! but im sure most people here have been in my shoes hahahaha....so i got a factory amp and sub, ive got power to the amp, its grounded, but i cant get any signal to the subwoofer. is there a subwoofer shut off or something? i cant figure this out...and im tempted to rip my truck apart and trace all the wires..but i really dont want to do that. ive tested the speaker and it works, but no signal....PLEASE HELP!!! :(

Scucci...thanks for the advice about the aftermarket parts! I was going to go that route but I quickly realized how much money id have to spend to get all new parts...so i just got a factory sub and amp out of another explorer...i thought i could just plug and play, so to speak, but no luck. i have power and to the amp but no signal...not sure where else to look.

Alright ive been reading some of your reply's and skipping some as well your wire diagrams are more complicated then i would want to ever understand ... i have a 1997 ford explorer sport 2door 2wd with premium sound system (amp is located in rear right above finder well) my radio that was in the car looked like it wasn't a JBL i dident know they also had premium sound setups for my car :/ i have a pioneer 4100ub, 3 JL audio ten's the w6 series powered by an interfere amp, 2 dual twelves with a dual amp and i have 2 mid/tweeter amps... i want to install them in my car ive been messing with the wiring and learning more and more then i wanted to and i am about to give up.. i read that they had wire harnesses for the stereo system i have to use both the stock and my amp power.. but not sure how well that would work.. so my questions are

1. Can a wiring harness be used to use my four amps plus stock amp or should i disconnect and remove it

2.Should i use the speaker wiring already in place to wear the stock amp was and drill, fit it to my amps or rewire all my speakers from speaker terminal to my amps (if rewiring all of them how should i wire them "as in" Should i wire them in place of stock wiring or wire them opposite side and run the power wire 1/0 gauge to where the old amp was?)

3.Why does my car have so much wiring leading every where...? ive been working on wiring my system for 2 months now learning it as i go and ive run into countless problems with stock wiring leading power wire grounding wires ect all over my car there every where its aggravating xL

4.where should i drill a hole at through my fire wall to place the 1/0 gauge wire and what way, side, or angle ect should i wire it through to the back of my car? i have every thing in the back area or trunk space w/e you want to call it and i need to get my Power cable ran to it

5. Does any one know of a site that would have a lift kit for a 97 ford explorer sport 2dr 2wd 4.0 v6 i want a 4in lift n 33in tires xL but havent fond any thing but blocks and shackles or body lift and im trying to get suspension lift for a nice ride and not a Rough ride thats gonna cause more vibrations then i already have (do to sub's when they are installed and connected)

if i have confused you i am sorry but my thoughts kind of collide together.. and this system the wiring is beginning to stress me out.. i was entered into a car show for audio competition and had to drop out because of wiring issues that i still dont under stand fully :/ any help that doesn't have some Drastic 80 wire label and coded informational diagram would be helpful or tips, pictures ect on what to do

what color are the speaker wires in the 2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer. If anyone can answer this it would be really appreciated

Hello Guys,
I have a 2001 Explorer Limited, with Mach sound system, and everything works fine, but when I put the key in ACC position the radio doesn't work. Any hint on where to start looking for the problem?
Thanks!

Ford 93 exporer Deck wire connections

I have a ford 93 explorer and I tried to connect a Cd player to it, the speakers seemed to work fine but the memory fails every time after I program and turn the engine off for awhile. I lost the instructions on the wire connections and I just need to know how to get the memory feed get to work.

1992 explorer XLT stereo help

OK...my stereo died, so I have a pioneer stereo in my shop I can use. I have power but when I try to hook up the speaker wires I get nothing. Is there something i need to bypass to get my speakers to work? I read something about a rear amp.... do the speakers need to be hooked up at the amp and not at the HU? I have a normal HU, not premium, it is cassette not CD.

had similar problem in my friends explorer when i was putting his HU in. i didnt know that his explorer had an amp in it. hook up the remote turn on wire (blue w white stripe) and viola

I have a 95 just installed pioneer head unit but I need to find out where the stock amp is if anyone can help it's greatly appreciated

Stock amp is in the rear passenger cargo area under the plastic trim that the cargo net or subwoofer is in. The whole plastic thing needs removed, but its fairly straightforward. You'll need a big torq but to remove the upper seat belt anchor. You don't HAVE to remove the anchor, but its a pain, and you risk breaking/deforming the trim.

I have a '96 Eddie Bauer, with a premium sound system. I just bought a new HU and was wondering if there was a wiring harness for the vehicle or if i had to hard wire the HU in? I don't know if my vehicle has a amp or not, but i do have a CD changer in the center console factory.

Welcome to the forum. You do have an external amplifier, which will need to be either powered and used, or bypassed. They sell harnesses to bypass the amp. I believe there are harnesses that power the factory amp as well. I powered the amp in my 96, and didn't like the sound quality. I ended up pulling the rear cargo panel, and bypassing the amp with bullet connectors.

mbrooks thanks for the help, but i checked into the wiring harness situation and no one makes a harness for the explorer with the JBL system. Everyone i talked to said that i would have to run speaker wires to each door speaker to bypass the amp. I know there has to be a way to hard wire the HU into the harness coming from the dash. If anyone knows the diagram for a 96 explorer eddie bauer w/JBL system please point me to it. And of course please let it be legible. Thanks mbrooks if you have any more input it would greatly be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can just pull the rear cargo panel, and bypass the amp with connectors/solder. I ended up pulling the door panels, and figuring out the wires with an AA battery. To do this connect the leads to the battery. When you get a matching pair you will hear a fuzz. When the polarity is correct the speaker will push outward.

Back