1998 4x4 xp thump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 4x4 xp thump

mlamb

Reaction score
Well i just read all the threads on lbj romoval and installation. Question my explorer has a bumping sound coming from under the front on rough dirt roads.My tires are worn outside edges. Im going to put new tires on and a alignment.I jacked up but couldnt find any play. But figured I would do lbj so they will align.Question should i do ubj and control arm bushings or will i get awy with just lowers and do you think the thump is in the lbj. BTW everything looks good but i just got this truck with 200,000 on it.I would like to cure thump and be able to get a good alignment.Im Guessing i should just do new upc since they come with joints and bushings and new lca and i guess they would come assembeld as well .Is it difficult do do the lower arms since thy have the torsion? I would like to do the t/t keys as well this would give me the opportunity to completly refresh front as well as get a little extra clearence.Thanks for the help Im new to fords and really would like to make a nice driving explorer

Check the bolts on your caliper brackets.

There are good stickies in the sticky thread at the top of this section for replacing upper and lower ball joints. Have a read. Lots of good pictures and instructions. You'll be an expert in no time at all.

Back