1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer. AWD question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer. AWD question.

mmmbeer1968

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Eddie Bauer AWD
This is an AWD vehicle. I've never owned an AWD vehicle, so is there some way of knowing if it is engaging? There is a knob on the dash for "Normal Driving" and "Off Road". When I turn the knob, I can feel and hear no difference in how the truck runs. Additionally, my last truck (a chevy blazer) had indicator lights stating that it was in 4wd. I can see a light for 4wd high and 4wd low on the instrument panel, but neither comes on when I turn the knob. Any help would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume that is the automatic ride control which is a compressor hooked to the air shocks. It should lift the vehicle slightly, and I assume the pump is audible. The AWD of the v8's has no controls.

Yes, it is the automatic ride control. Unfortunately, I can hear the pump (because the shocks leak...).

1998 explorer grinding noice on passenger front wheel. new bearings, new shocks, new tires, brakes in good shape. grinding starts at about 35 mph

Back