Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1998 explorer XLT air conditioning problem (electrical?) help please!

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by cm8809, July 17, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. cm8809

cm8809 Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 Explorer EB 5.0 AWD
      Hey whats up everyone, my stepdad has a 1998 ex XLT that's having AC problems and I told him I'd take a swing at it. I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. I have the haynes manual, FWIW.

So the system is charged and the air is cold and everything. However, it only works when the blower is set to max. When it's on 1 and 2, pretty much nothing is happening. When it's on 3, you can start to hear/feel a LITTLE air. And when you click it to 4, it's instantly full blast.

Obviously my first instinct is electrical. I had the exact same symptoms on an old 02 Dakota I used to have, and all I had to do was replace the blower motor resistor and it worked fine again. So I'm hoping that that's the problem with his explorer, and that the resistor is easy to access.

Words of wisdom before I start spending $$?

Thanks all!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. budwich

budwich Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ont
      96 XL
      word of wisdom... "search"... :) lots of posts on blower resistor issues.

4. cm8809

cm8809 Member

1998 Explorer EB 5.0 AWD
      Well I replaced the resistor and now the fan speeds work properly. However, it's evident now that the temp control doesn't work properly. It's either really cold or really hot, seems to have trouble getting anywhere inbetween. Also, the air only seems to get cold on max AC.. on any other selection it's not cold. Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone? I'd appreciate any insight. Searched, couldn't find anything specific or helpful.

5. budwich

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ont
      96 XL
      next up... blender door issues.... lots of posts.... not very "nice" though (lots of swearing under the dash)... :-(. In addition, there is a AC section in the "under the hood" that might have posts on this.

6. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
      VA
      2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
      budwich, are you saying the blend door affects the "coolness" of the A/C?

7. budwich

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ont
      96 XL
      "blend" .... means to "mix" things... in this case of "climate control" systems (ford and otherwise), cold air and hot air... and in this case, you want "zero" hot... :) otherwise... you are getting "some hot" and "some cold" which might feel like it is "controlling the how cold cold is"... but it isn't... and actually nothing is... only the level of freon controls that and air flow thru the condensor / evaporator exchangers.

PS. I see you got my earlier quote about EATC... I misread the original poster thinking he had an EATC system... but I don't think so... no matter, even the EATC system doesn't have a "direct" control of how "cold cold is".