1998 Ford Explorer Sport Trailer Hitch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Explorer Sport Trailer Hitch?

fono18

Reaction score
Hey guys

I have a quick question, I am about to purchase a small boat and wanted to pull it behind my 1998 Ford Explorer Sport v6. Its not a heavy boat so I believe it should handle it just fine. How do I go about putting a trailer hitch on my explorer? I have looked online and found a few in the range of 150. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a class 3 hitch for a regular explorer, it should bolt up just fine.

Any of the big manufacturers make them... Reese, Draw-Tite, Valley or Curt to name a few. Can be found almost anywhere... Roughly $100.

If you have the 16" tires, make sure the one you get will clear the spare. *Some* of them will not (Draw-Tite made one that did and one that didn't when I bought mine years back)

Before you get the hitch, what is a small boat to you? My whole setup weighs 1300lbs and needed a receiver. Before, I had a 14' Jon on a trailer that weighed maybe 400lbs. I didnt need the receiver then, only a $5 ball on the bumper.

If you do get a hitch, it's 4 bolts and 10 minutes...

Scrap yard, reese hitch class 3, very nice shape $25.00. When towing the boat it sits level. If I used the ball on the bumper is doesn't sit level. More options if you have the hitch. Just my opinion.

Back