1999 explorer D44 Swap...Big Red | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 explorer D44 Swap...Big Red

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks nice

That looks sick man

Fix your steering and it will drive alot better on the road. Lower it a few inches as well and that will help as well.

Fix your steering and it will drive alot better on the road. Lower it a few inches as well and that will help as well.

I mite go with dual shocks in the front and get some sort of sway bar setup, this isnt my daily driver so its just a toy. I still need shocks in the rear, riding on raw springs!

hell yea!!

I have been working on this for awhile now...Big Red is almost done but is driveable. I made a website for it awhile ago, so i'm just going to post the link for that. Feel free to shoot me any questions or anything i could have done better!

http://bigredexplorersas.webs.com/

got some short videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvW_QuExpIU

more to come

that is sic!! i'm all new to this stuff the forums n all i tripped over this site lookin for lifted explorers/mount. i have a 00' mount. with a 5.0 i was thinkin a 44 would be the way for solid swap but did you look into a coil over setup is it possible for it? i have yet to dig into that, but good job!!

that is sic!! i'm all new to this stuff the forums n all i tripped over this site lookin for lifted explorers/mount. i have a 00' mount. with a 5.0 i was thinkin a 44 would be the way for solid swap but did you look into a coil over setup is it possible for it? i have yet to dig into that, but good job!!

I did look into a D44 with coils, but springs are better for mudding! thats all there is to do where i'm located. Yes almost anything is possible if you have ok fab skills, time and a bit of cash! I model my SAS after Section 525 and kinda did what Stic o did for the steering. If you want more pictures i can post them?. I wish i went bigger with the axle, cause when i get a front shaft in, this axle is going to break apart! D44 are a good way to go.

I started out with a steering setup like yours on my SAS but it had too much play in it so I made my own high steer. It now drives like a stock setup and doesn't wonder at all even at 80mph on the highway.

DSCF3200.jpg

100_0310.jpg

100_0311.jpg

100_0309.jpg

I started out with a steering setup like yours on my SAS but it had too much play in it so I made my own high steer. It now drives like a stock setup and doesn't wonder at all even at 80mph on the highway.

DSCF3200.jpg

100_0310.jpg

100_0311.jpg

100_0309.jpg

Eventually i might go with that if it makes it feel like a stock truck. could it be the steering box going? that box has over 300,000 miles on it. Explorers last forever!

rjcooperss396 -- I suggest you change out that welded knuckle for a true High-Steer arm because we've already seen one break on EF. Steering is not something you want to go cheap on especially if you take this thing on the highway.

attachment.php

Eventually i might go with that if it makes it feel like a stock truck. could it be the steering box going? that box has over 300,000 miles on it. Explorers last forever!

Mine was actually rotating the drag link. I would turn the wheel obout a 1/4 turn before the link would bind and then start to turn the wheels.

rjcooperss396 -- I suggest you change out that welded knuckle for a true High-Steer arm because we've already seen one break on EF. Steering is not something you want to go cheap on especially if you take this thing on the highway.

attachment.php

I've been keeping an eye on mine but haven't had any cracks yet and it has been to TDS, John Bull, Dish Pan, Crowbar and others for the past year.

When I welded mine I set the back plate at an angle and then welded it on both sides. I then added the front plate and welded it on the outside. I also have a bracket welded to the backside of it so I think it should be plenty strong.

The one IZwack posted was ran for a few years and then broke. It was done by a reputable shop that does $100,000 bugggies. Only reason I belive they did it was bucause at the time histeer arms were not very common. I wouldn't trust my life to it no matter how it was welded on.

I did look into a D44 with coils, but springs are better for mudding! thats all there is to do where i'm located. Yes almost anything is possible if you have ok fab skills, time and a bit of cash! I model my SAS after Section 525 and kinda did what Stic o did for the steering. If you want more pictures i can post them?. I wish i went bigger with the axle, cause when i get a front shaft in, this axle is going to break apart! D44 are a good way to go.

sorry i just read your reply i do ALOT of muddin even with my stocker shes a capable lil girl lol but its also a rocky at times travel so ride is a consern if you got more pics of your setup that mite clue tohow i could go about this that would be sweet thanx

sorry i just read your reply i do ALOT of muddin even with my stocker shes a capable lil girl lol but its also a rocky at times travel so ride is a consern if you got more pics of your setup that mite clue tohow i could go about this that would be sweet thanx

Alright i will post some videos and add to the website with some more pictures in a few days. I have been very busy lately with my career and school!

I see you are in illinois. You want to go to the cliffs over thanksgiving weekend? Nice truck btw.

I see you are in illinois. You want to go to the cliffs over thanksgiving weekend? Nice truck btw.

Yes Sir I M, i would love too. What are the rules there? i need to install my gears in first and then drop the tranny X member to install the front driveshaft!

About how much does it cost to do a SAS?:salute:

DSCF3200.jpg

100_0310.jpg

100_0311.jpg

100_0309.jpg

For a little bit of money, you should get some safety washers for the single shear setup on that steering, especially going 80mph down the highway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back