1999 Explorer Dual Battery? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer Dual Battery?

Snapey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999, Explorer, XLT
Hi all,

I’m looking into some dual battery set ups for my 1999 Ford Explorer XLT, however, there isn’t much space under the hood... has anyone done a dual battery set up in one of these before? If so, how did you do it? Pictures? And if not, what would be the best way to go with setting one of these up.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gonna be tight under the hood running two full sized batteries. A custom intake might free up enough space.

Why do you want a second battery?

I've seen one many years ago that had two sideways where the original was, custom tray of course. I don't remember if the batteries were shorter than normal or not, I bet they were.

Dual Batteries in a '00

Probably more work than most are willing to do. Depending on what it’s for it might be a better option to put the second in the cab.

I have a half build mount to put one where my spare tire used to be (along with a compressor and AUX Leads for Anderson connectors (rear winch, jumper cables). Mostly was going to do this to protect my on board air compressor and house a second full size battery. It’d be convenient for the rear winch and the stereo I was planning on running.

After calculating my annual mileage and fuel economy it made more sense to buy a new daily driver, so this has been put on hold. I’ll probably revisit it this summer.

You could probably get two smaller, high quality batteries in the stock location, it just depends on what your needs are.

Ive also been looking to install a second auxiliary battery for charging misc accessories while on longer trips but wanted it tied into the alternator for obvious reasons. Im not set on the battery being in the engine compartment but I would love to see a few ideas on how others have done this type of setup.

I have seen a few setup inside the stock jack location on other model vehicles. This is what I was leaning towards and converting into a charging station for my laptop and cameras ect.

195e2fdbda66b29b3d8bd52784b0edfa.jpg

Ive also been looking to install a second auxiliary battery for charging misc accessories while on longer trips but wanted it tied into the alternator for obvious reasons. Im not set on the battery being in the engine compartment but I would love to see a few ideas on how others have done this type of setup.

I have seen a few setup inside the stock jack location on other model vehicles. This is what I was leaning towards and converting into a charging station for my laptop and cameras ect.

View attachment 167339

This is actually pretty close to what I was thinking about doing...

Back