1999 Explorer problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer problem

Rustycms

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
Hi, I have a 1999 Ford Explorer that had 129,000 miles this started last June so far has been unsolvable ~ no codes as it's not doing it when I take it in 7 times so far. The garage have never had this problem before. This garage has kept me "running" for 30 years and i have faith they will get it sooner or later but want to see it I can suggest something ? from this forum hoping someone has had the same problem ~~ While driving at any speed the speedometer needle starts "flipping" back and forth and the ABS light comes on stays on steady until it the "event" stops. I have to stop the vehicle to stop this. sometimes it will do it again immediately upon driving forward. It has done it once when I was backing up. The engine died on me one time when I was trying different methods of stopping it , this particular incident I was pushing the gas pedal a few times. Sometimes I think the engine misses but I always panic when it happens so not 100% and I think my tachometer seems to fluctuate a little bit ? . All episodes are usually 3 to 6 minute "events" and when they end and it doesn't do it again "until" sometimes a few days ~ sometimes a week or two between more episodes All the speed sensors have been replaced and the last item replaced was a "gem module" . It has new brakes and I've kept it in top running order ~ thank you in advance for any help, solutions, and suggestions Ms Rustycms

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Flipping speedometer and ABS light are both related to the same speed sensor. If the sensor was indeed replaced, then it is related to the wiring harness and ground from the sensor. I suspect if the wiring is carefully traced someone will find either a loose/corroded ground or a frayed wire which is occassionally able to jump current or short out as it comes into contact with either the transmission housing or the frame.

The thread by Taker two threads down may be of interest.

The thread by Taker two threads down may be of interest.
Hi Scout3 , I cannot locate the thread by Taker ~ thank you RomeovilleIL I will pass this on to the shop ~ Rustycms

Rusty,
Sorry you had trouble finding the post. I am not good on linking to other posts. The post was by "taker" lowercase. About his speedometer in his Monty. He said he found a ground wire near his left front tire that was loose and it appeared to fix his problem. I just reread his post and unfortunately his problem came back. Sorry I could not help. Good luck and post back if you find the answer.

Ed

Back