Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

1999 Explorer Sport 2WD - Brakes Shot

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer 911!' started by 240Z, September 26, 2005.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. 240Z

240Z New Member

City, State:
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '99 Sport
    Technically not an emergency, but my Ex is currently out of commission and I need to get it back on the road ASAP. My front rotors are just about shot, the rears probably aren't doing to well themselves, thus I've decided to park it for a few days while I get new brakes on there. Anyone have any recommendations on a specific brand of rotor and pads to buy? Anything else I'll need to buy? Any tips? I'm planning on doing this in my driveway, my brother will be doing most of the work as he is more mechanically savvy than I am (and he owes me money ;) ) I appreciate any responses in advance, I really need to get this thing back on the road, thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 98Explorer4x4

98Explorer4x4 Active Member

City, State:
    Sioux Falls, SD
    98 Explorer XLT 4WD
    Depends on how much money you are willing to spend and what braking performance you want. I get mine from Ford, I just do everyday driving and some offroading. Google for what you are looking for.

4. 240Z

240Z New Member

City, State:
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    '99 Sport
    Thanks, I've searched the site but hadn't found any mention of specific brands. Mine is used on-road only, its my daily driver. All I'm really looking for is something similar to the stock braking performance. I'm a broke college student on a relatively tight budget but I will not skimp out on brakes, thats one thing I don't want failing on me when I'm driving.

5. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    I have only had two sets of non Ford pads that I bought in town which were worth the trouble. Buy the original equipment Ford brake pads, they are very good. Buy a quart of good brake fluid, get the Valvoline $5 quart, not the cheap brands which are about $3 per quart. Bleed the whole system when the work is done, that's a source of improvement.

Be careful to not allow any air to get into the ABS pump, don't let the master cylinder run dry ever. The ABS pump can only be bled by a special electrical diagnostic tool.

If you can afford it, buy four new rotors, from a parts store like Autozone. The prices are usually very reasonable. Good luck,

6. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Nice!! You started a 911 thread asking for what brand of brake rotors and pads to buy. Nice!!

7. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Nor*Cal
    2001, F150, XLT 4x4

:thumbsup: ;)

8. CDW6212R

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    The "broke" comment keeps me from mentioning brands. The auto parts brands will be under $50 likely, while my EBC rotors were $75 each(spotfaced) and they have been great. Any really good brands will be mail order only, including better pad brands. Regards,

9. 240Z

240Z New Member

City, State:
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    '99 Sport
    Hey man, its really nice not having a vehicle and having to take the bus or carpool to school, I'd say thats pretty 911. :thumbsup:

10. 240Z

240Z New Member

City, State:
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    '99 Sport
    I appreciate the help, like I said, I'm tight on money, but that won't stop me from putting quality brakes on my vehicle.

BTW, mods please move this post to the regular non-911 section of the board so people don't pad their post count by crying about someone's mistake. Thanks

11. karl_burns

karl_burns Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winston Salem, NC - Go Deacs!
    98 Sport OHV 5speed
    I bought front rotors from AutoZone and they never worked. Went through 3 sets, and still got the ABS light. I finally got some from Draft after he removed his drilled rotors and have never had a problem. The AutoZones were cheap, but the ABS wouldn't work with them. that's no way to drive.......
    Hopefully, it was jus the moronic AutoZones in Boston......
    Karl

12. ashleyroachclip

ashleyroachclip Active Member

City, State:
    Roseburg Oregon
    1991 Explorer EB
    I buy raybestos brand , and they are available at most part houses , the price is less than Ford , and last just as well if not better , I worked at the stealership in my town , and ford did not manufacture their own pads or rotors , just be sure to have which ever brand you buy , checked for true , I have every one I buy turned to true. In handleing or something I've seen many that were warped .

13. CDW6212R

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    That's a good thought these days, with so many different sources for parts. There are many many good and bad parts, finding the best brake parts is very wise. I am a mail carrier, I have tried just about everything. I have learned where to buy the cheapest parts(doesn't affect performance), and where to spend top dollar for the best available.

I have never bought a bad rotor, from any where. I hope cases like that are very rare. Always buy the best possible brake fluid, pads, lining, hoses. You can be more selective in buying rotors, drums, hardware, rebuilt calipers, etc. The pads and fluid are the two most important parts of the brake system. Good luck all,

14. 240Z

240Z New Member

City, State:
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    '99 Sport
    Thanks a lot guys, you've been a great help!