1999 Explorer. Sticky accelerator. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer. Sticky accelerator.

mtwolf7

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Wondering if anyone has had this issue? I have a 1999 Explorer OHC V6 with 100K that has a minor (so far) sticky accelerator problem. When the vehicle has been driven and is warmed up, then sits for 45-60 minutes with engine off and is started again, the accelerator will stick once and then it is fine for the duration of the next drive. It does not happen when it's cold and when it has been driven long distances, shut off a few minutes, then started again.

There is never any unintended accelaration (almost the opposite of the much reported Toyota accerator problems). The vehicle must be restarted. Pushing on the pedal with engine off does not produce this issue. I have checked the accelerator cable running to the throttle body and it seems fine, don't see any wear, about an inch play with engine off. I sprayed the connection to the pedal under the dash and the connection to the throttle body with a small amount of WD-40 but no difference.

I'm wondering what sets the tension when the engine is started, could it be an engine temp sensor giving incorrect info to the engine computer, setting wrong tension on the throttle body? It's not a floormat issue nor the type of shoes or boots I'm wearing. Check Engine Light is not on, all fluids at normal level, normal temperature when totally warm. Check Gauge light is not on. Vehicle has had regular service at the dealer.

The vehicle has been very good overall, a few other minor problems and I replaced the Idle Air Control myself a few months back for bad idle when cold, now resolved.

Any clues guys (or gals)? Much appreciated. Steve.

Back