1999 Explorer Totaled vs. Repair for Salvage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer Totaled vs. Repair for Salvage

bluebird

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
I have a 1999 Explorer XLT with a V6 SOHC, leather, power seats, etc. The car was in an accident and it was totaled by the insurance company.

What is the best thing to do? Buy it back and fix it to pass the salvage inspection, or just let the insurance company take it.

If I keep it, do I need to repair the front bumper (the plastic is cracked, not the bumper), as well as the bottom of the plastic grill.

I am still driving the car since it still drives like before, just the cosmetic items. I wasn't sure how much money needs to be spent to get it back into salvage shape. I don't mind continuing to drive it as a salvage car, or just sell it to a shop.

photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/MaiPen...&authkey=Gv1sRgCK6RiqrmrN6OVA&feat=directlink

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just remember, reselling a vehicle with a salvage title is near impossible.

You are right though, that isn't a lot of damage, and you would probably be money ahead if you buy it back and repair it. In the end though, it is up to you. How attached are you to the truck, and do you plan on keeping it until it would have been worthless?

There are a lot of salvage vehicles that sell here. I would sell it for probably 50%-70% of its value so I believe I can find a buyer quick. The buy-back is around $600.

I just don't know what I need to repair to pass the salvage test. When the car was totaled the place I took it to accessed about $2500 in repairs (for a new bumper, grill and paint). These seem cosmetic, but not sure if I need a new bumper to pass the salvage test. I wasn't sure if it is illegal to not replace the bumper and still drive the car, even though it is still functional.

I could just give the car to the insurance company, but it takes a while to find a replacement.

The bumper doesn't need painted, and the grille is chrome.. the cost of the bumper skin is no more than $400, basically, insurance companies don't even bother trying to repair anything over 10yrs old, they just quote them high to get them off the road.

I'd buy it back, but, I'd barter the buy back price, try n get it for $300, and try n negotiate your settlement up a bit, or take the first offer and say you'll take the vehicle back for free, I've done that with every settlement I've had. Usually works.

I'm not sure what your local specification is for a safety inspection, but up here, I had to get before and after pictures of the vehicle, and then I had to take it for a mechanical inspection, which is the usual, lights, tires, brakes, steering, ball joints etc.. nothing too serious.

As long as there's no rust, and your ball joints aren't loose, you should be ok with just a new bumper and grille., which you can probably get a wrecker's yard for less than $200

Si

i am agreeing with find, and blueka here. the parts shouldnt cost to much, and it should only take a few hours if you have never done it before.
the other thing is, if you let it go, your stuck trying to find something else and will be buying someone else problems, were you know your truck already.

I will check with my insurance company that if I keep the car, could they insure a salvage car. There are a lot of salvage vehicles on the road here, so I am sure I can find an insurance company that will.

I checked online and the bumper skin is about $200. I took off the bumper (4 bolts) after the accident to see if there was any damage, but it was only the cosmetic items.

I wasn’t sure if DMV will require that I show a receipt for the complete bumper being replaced. I live in California, which has some strange laws. I wouldn’t think the grill needs to be replaced since that has nothing to do with the safety of the car.

I guess I can take it into a shop and see what they think it would take to repair the car to pass the salvage test. If it is just the bumper cover that would be nice.

i went through the salvaged title thing in GA with a truck my daughter bought. the whole process was a joke. all anybody wanted was $ to sign off on things (which they didn't even examine) or take $ to print a new title.

1. title bond $120 (to email me a piece of paper)
2. official vehicle inspection $75 (the guy didn't even look at the truck)
3. VIN# verification (FREE - Sheriff came to my house to do it)
4. issue of new title $125 to State of GA for a piece of paper

the whole process took about 30 days.

i don't think you have any inspection issues based on your accident damage. did the airbags deploy? i'd buy it back and wouldn't even bother fixing the bumper or the grille unless it bothers you. a new grille can be had for around $60 and i'd guess maybe $100 for a used bumper at the pull-a-part. paint? paint what?

i went through the salvaged title thing in GA with a truck my daughter bought. the whole process was a joke. all anybody wanted was $ to sign off on things (which they didn't even examine) or take $ to print a new title.

1. title bond $120 (to email me a piece of paper)
2. official vehicle inspection $75 (the guy didn't even look at the truck)
3. VIN# verification (FREE - Sheriff came to my house to do it)
4. issue of new title $125 to State of GA for a piece of paper

i don't think you have any inspection issues based on your accident damage. did the airbags deploy? i'd buy it back and wouldn't even bother fixing the bumper or the grille unless it bothers you. a new grille can be had for around $60 and i'd guess maybe $100 for a used bumper at the pull-a-part. paint? paint what?

I read online that there are several fees, so thanks for listing them. I don't mind paying the fees, its just the additional repairs, which are unknown (though I would think it will be just the bumper cover). The airbags did not deploy.

I think there is a push to get rid of old vehicles on the road and is why old cars get totaled, even with minor repair work. My car has 135k so it will last for some time still, thus would rather just continue driving it. I'll take it into a shop and see what comments they provide on getting it to pass the salvage test.

It wasnt even that hard here in NC. Bought my 94 back after a deer hit totaled it. Insurance totaled it, bought it back, hung a new fender, jerked the bumper off, drove along my merry way. Eventually put a bumper on, and been driving like that for a few years now. Had many state inspections, many times have I been pulled by cops, no one says a word. Does say *Total Loss Claim* on the registration though, but that's it. Nationwide won't give me collision anymore, but the still give me basic liability which is all that's needed.

Why did they Salvage it? That's not even much damage.

And, you'd end up getting more from it for parts alone than from the insurance.

Why did they Salvage it? That's not even much damage.

And, you'd end up getting more from it for parts alone than from the insurance.

The insurance company salvages old cars since they are not worth repairing. If repairs are around about 70% of the value, they total it. The repair shop will quote a few items like the bumper, grille, etc. Whatever they can see from the top. They don't go under the car. So any car under $5k will more likely get totaled.

If I am able to sign up for insurance I won't need collision since the salvage car might have a bluebook of under $1k. The buy back will be around $600. The alloy wheels + 1 year old tires can probably be sold for $600.

I need to find out how rigorous the state inspection is. I think they just look for a receipt that shows parts were bought, and look at the vehicle.

The insurance company salvages old cars since they are not worth repairing. If repairs are around about 70% of the value, they total it. The repair shop will quote a few items like the bumper, grille, etc. Whatever they can see from the top. They don't go under the car. So any car under $5k will more likely get totaled.

If I am able to sign up for insurance I won't need collision since the salvage car might have a bluebook of under $1k. The buy back will be around $600. The alloy wheels + 1 year old tires can probably be sold for $600.

I need to find out how rigorous the state inspection is. I think they just look for a receipt that shows parts were bought, and look at the vehicle.

yeah, i'd find out just what they're gonna be looking at during the inspection. it should be mostly mechanical as related to frame, steering and suspension, maybe checking for CEL, ABS and Airbag lights, lighting, horn, glass, brakes. some states may check for rust, but other than that i can't imagine what else would be included. you probably already know what problems (if any) you have. i don't think they'll even comment on your bumper.

as near as i could tell, my truck had the driver's side bodywork wiped off of it (bumper, front fender, both doors and the rear quarter panel. perhaps flipped on its side). like i said, in GA the inspection guy pretty much took my word for answers to a few questions and never actually checked anything (fortunately, i was confident there were no issues, as i had checked everything myself. the only repair i'd made was to replace a broken parking brake cable). he met me at a gas station near my house, filled out a form, took my money and was on his way 10 minutes later. my insurance company knew the truck had a salvaged title, but they insured it with collision and liability coverage at a normal rate with no questions asked.

if you're planning on keeping the truck (with only 135K on it why not) who cares if it has a salvaged title? you can always part it out at a later date if you can't sell it. i'd keep copies of all the paperwork and your photos to show a future prospective buyer. let us know what you find out.

I got a front and rear bumper with all the covers with the grille fiberglass mount, and grille for about 100 bucks at the JY. If the front is all you need fixed, it will only be less than almost nothing...my $0.02

I totaled my 1998 XLT in December on the 520 bridge in Seattle. Drove it to work after but insurance came with a wrecker and towed it to my home. It was all front end damage, mostly grill, lites, bumper, hood. Adjuster came, paid me $3k for it and offered it to me for $225.00. I took it and ran. Spent $300 at the parts yard and my granddaughter is driving it now after a quick inspection by the WSP.
Salvage title or not she is very happy with it.
If you can find the parts right, its a hard deal to beat.

this was mine when i bought it for $500.

20130317_175639.jpg

This was about $250 later. All from U-Pull-It.

2013-04-15143053.jpg

Although mine does not have a salvage title, I would say keep it and fix it. Just as what was said before you know your truck. You could go buy something used that looks pretty but could be junk mechanically.

They totalled it for that??? Christ, I have more cosmetic damage across my whole car then that... Get the settlement, try and buy it back for <$300, and spend a couple hundred fixing, pay the fees, pocket the rest. At the end of the day if you're going to keep it who cares about resell value; worst case scenario is you parting it out to us animals lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn, if I lived a couple of thousand miles closer I'd be throwing money at you.
Here in the rust belt NEW TRUCKS don't even look that good.

Perry

Ohio/Michigan

Back