1999 Explorer with cold start problems. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer with cold start problems.

Sportin99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
Hello to all. Excellent site. Just joined and looking for some expertise. I have a 1999 Explorer Sport, 4.0 SOHC. For about 4-5 years now when it gets roughly 45 degrees or lower (the lower the worse) upon starting the engine fires up fast and high idle then drops down to 500 or less rpms and chugs sputters sometimes stalls or just chugs and sputters. If you hold the pedal to assist it takes about 1500 or more rpm to get it to run clean and it almost seems like it tries to drop off rpm eveen though you have the pedal stationary. If you drive it and shut it off or even later in the day it starts and runs fine. My state just went to emissions testing and this past year it failed due to a needed tune up. I had only 28000 mi on the plugs and wires had to install new plugs and wires and drive hard to the inspection station where it then passed. It almost seems to be running rich, strong exhaust smell when acting up. Warm up could take 5-10 minutes until it runs O.K., Sprayed start fluid around intake no notices of rpm increase. MAF checked out per book?? Could not locate the intake air sensor that the book said was in the black intake rubber tube?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. It sounds like a problem with the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor. You could check the temperature range with an ohm meter to see if it's correct.

Thanks for the info. I will check it out. Thanks for the redirection also. Have a good one.

This chart is one of the links in # 25 in my list of useful threads:
41928895.gif

if your truck has the sohc engine replace the intake manifold gaskets, its cheap, about $30 in parts and fairly easy if not time consuming. my 98 was showing all sorts of similar runnability issues and never popped a code. i found out after the fix that this is a common problem with the sohc and plastic intake manifolds. this tends to show up at about 100k but can also show up in many lower mileage vehicles

do you know if there are any threads on how to specifically do this? I have had a similar problem in the past, replacing the air filter seems to have helped a little, however what you mention above looks more specific to the issue.

thanks

gb

+1 for intake manifold gaskets... upper & lower gasket set can be had at Autozone for $15 + tax over in my area.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261439

Good write-up available here... isn't hard, but does take a little time. If you're mechanically inclined a bit, it won't take more than a few hours to do the gaskets only. In that thread, he does more than just gaskets.. but it should help you out. Good luck!

Ditto. Lower intake manifold gaskets are the most likely culprit. Common problem this time of year. :)

If you decide to replace the ECT sensor in the thermostat housing, I would suggest replacing the entire housing for an upgraded model(stronger thread bosses for sensors).
See this site for cost & description of the replacement part.
http://www.ahwooga.com/detail.asp?id=60272
You can order it with all the sensors installed plus a new thermostat & gaskets.
The original housing has weak brass fittings in weak a plastic housing. The new model has stronger fittings in a completely new design. The brass fittings will most likely start to spin as you are installing the new sensors.

Cold Idle Problem

Ditto. Lower intake manifold gaskets are the most likely culprit. Common problem this time of year. :)

Ditto to your Ditto......

I got tired of my '99 SOHC 4.0 idling rough on these cold mornings so I changed spark plugs last weekend along with oil and air filters. No change in rough idling. So I happened upon this site and bingo, fixed this weekend. What did I do? After changing the plugs last weekend, I got a CEL a couple of days later and figured I knocked a vacuum line loose somewhere. After driving a couple of days like that ( after checking my oil level to be sure of that ), I stopped by Autozone and had them read the code. P0147 -- lean on bank 2. They said its probably an O2 sensor and quoted me $57. I told him to print it out and I did buy a PCV valve for $2.99 and a candy bar, along with some MAF cleaner. I was leaning towards a dirty IAC from posts here, but I dug a little deeper and found out about the leaky intake manifold gaskets.

I picked up a set of gaskets at the local Ford dealer ( $24 ), could've saved 7 or 8 bucks at AZ but I didn't mind spending a little more for Ford parts. I followed the couple of well-written gasket changing procedures and the whole thing took me about 5 hours -- I'm slow and deliberate.

What I found : Dirty/stuck PCV valve, slightly dirty but operational IAC, a lot of carbon build-up in the throttle body and both the upper and lower intake manifolds. A little carbon on the top half of the head intake too. The intake manifold gaskets had definitely taken a set and were surely leaking air. After cleaning the manifolds as best I could everything went back together pretty well. One note -- I removed the large plug and ground wire from the stud on the firewall on the passenger side to give me a free run at the back two upper manifold torx bolts, made the PCV valve change easier too. The plastic retaining ring holding the original PCV valve broke off but I couldn't see that it was doing much good. I used a hose clamp on the lower PCV hose there.

It fired right up on the first crank!! And it ran pretty smooth for 5 minutes for the most part. It snorted a couple of times but I had sprayed a good amount of carbeurator cleaner in the head intake to loosen up some of the gunk. I took it out on the road and it drives like it was new. First stop sign I pulled up to was a very smooth idle. Then take off was smooth and even and peppy. Next was the interstate and it really accelerated on the ramp like it hasn't in years. I ran it for about 20 minutes and its great and no CEL. I'll report back if something comes up but I think I've got it covered. Mileage -- 154,000. Hopefully the only time I have to replace those gaskets.

doesnt ford have a recall for the throttle body. i beleive so for the sohc 4.0 engine. i read the throttle body will clog allowing this i need to check into it because i have a prob 2 but its not real bad just when cold.

if he's not the first owner of the car i bet that the recall has been taken care of. I guarantee that its the intake gaskets. the 4.0L SOHC ARE notorious for this problem.

Back