Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1999 Explorer XLT with a compressor issue.

Discussion in 'A/C & Heater systems - HVAC' started by GAFordGirl, June 27, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. GAFordGirl

GAFordGirl New Member

City, State:
    Covington, Ga
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '99 XLT
    Well, I've been driving a Ford Explorer for about 12 years now...'96 Ford Explorer LTD and a '99 Explorer XLT - Both are having issues with the A/C! I need help! My husband is at his wits end!

The LTD HVAC doesn't work AT ALL - EATC has gone on it...and the XLT the HVAC started running warm on A/C, he added R134a and now the thing sounds like it's about to blow up...only with A/C engaged. Any ideas?

It's 90 - 100 degrees outside in GA now and I'm tired of getting blown out by the windows and sweating going to work! :(

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
  3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Back in 5 minutes Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    STL MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    Welcome to the forum :)

The XLT sounds like the compressor is froze. Pop the hood, have someone turn the A/C on and watch the front of the compressor. If you see the clutch come on and off, its working. If it wont turn and the belt is forced to slide over the stuck pulley, shut it off Immediately. Spins=good, stuck=bad. LOL!

Try searching in the A/C sub-forum about the EATC on the LTD.

Keep bumping this thread like I have just done, and someone may be able to offer more help.

4. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the A/C & heater section. It sounds like the compressor is bad.

We Support Our Troops!