Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

1999 Ford Explorer 4.0 with 5R55E Transmission not shifting into overdrive gear.

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Mikiemic, August 6, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Mikiemic

Mikiemic New Member

City, State:
    Lancaster, PA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1999 Ford Explorer
    Hi folks,
    I need some help! I have a 1999 Ford Explorer with a 5R55E Transmission. It was given to me as payment for a contract that was owed to me. I started driving it and realized it was stuck in 4WD Low. Upon further testing, I went ahead and changed out the Transfer Case Motor, which fixed the problem. A day later I was driving and the vehicle would not shift higher then 4th gear (it has 5 gears, 5th being Overdrive). The overdrive light was flashing. I took it to a transmission shop and to a Ford Dealer to have it looked at and they claimed that it was not throwing any codes, but that there was an issue and that I should replace that transmission. I did some more research and found that it could all be the Valve body Gaskets. Being that I have my own lift, I went ahead and took on the job of replacing the gaskets. They were blown. Top gasket was totally blown out right above the EPC solenoid. I put it all back together and filled it with the proper ATF fluid only to find that it was still not going into the Over Drive gear. More research and I found out that the TCC solenoid could be the issue. Went ahead and replace that. Still not shifting into overdrive gear. More research and found that the EPC solenoid might be the issue. Dropped the pan again and replace the EPC solenoid. That was this morning and now I am at wits end! The problem is still the same! I drove it to a friend that owns his own shop and he ran hooked it to a computer and it still does not throw any transmission codes. I was told that if the O/D OFF light was flashing that it should give me codes but it doesn't. I am open to suggestions! Is anyone else having or has had this problem? Any and all advice is well received.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Mikiemic

Mikiemic New Member

City, State:
    Lancaster, PA
    1999 Ford Explorer
    Is anyone having this problem? Or even seeing this post?

4. shadowless127

shadowless127 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Long Island, NY
    '01 EB AWD 5.0
    get a new torque converter.

5. Ed_N_Ted

Ed_N_Ted New Member

City, State:
    Blue Springs, Missouri
    99 Eddie & 00 LimiTed
    ford 5r55e overdrive band failed off

I think I maybe able to help... however I am on my kindle. Let me get my shop computer going so I can get the correct information. Ill post in a few moment will what is likely what your experiencing.

99 eddiebauer00 limTed

6. Ed_N_Ted

Ed_N_Ted New Member

City, State:
    Blue Springs, Missouri
    99 Eddie & 00 LimiTed
    RE: overdrive band failed off

Okay let me first preface this post by establishing that I am in no way a guru in the likes of glazierbay. But I also dont look at transmissions like its an area 51 terestrial by product. That said one need to establish a couple of things before ever getting to the tranny for proper diag... which you may or maynot have done. The PCM. This device controls both engine and transmission function, but in a specific order. The data recieved regarding engine operation and condition is calculated and a signal is sent to the transmission to command shifting functions. So If your engine is problematic in anyway i.e. vacuum leak, I/M rediness fail, MIL, mechanical issue (timing cassettes), decrease in fuel pressure, or ANYTHING other than normal operating perameters then these MUST be corrected first and if needed a drivecycle calibration preformed. Then one can proceed to the transmission for diagnosis assuming the DTC and or malfunction still exsists. I would also like to say that with ANY transmission repair a cooler line flush must be preformed to ensure proper result. I do apologize if this in anyway seems like I am coming off as a jerk, for that in no way is the intention. I just wanted to make sure that i address this so as to prevent misdiagnosis thus wasted time and money for anyone whom reads this. Now to the issue at hand. I recently picked up a 98 sport with the same drivetrain for Crazzzzzyyyy cheap. This was due to a CEL. Well I did as I usually do and bought it because I could worst case part it out and make money. So When I pulled the codes I say the usual, a million codes that scare the s*#t out of people but for guys that know the forum just chuckle at, ABS (cleaned connect and it went away) egr stuff, and an O2. But the one that scared them away. P1762 Overdrive band failed off. I hadnt heard of this code before so I had to research. Right away I found fords TSB 03-22-10 Low line pressure reading at WOT wide open throttle. But at first glance this didnt seem to apply to me at all. But I thought what the hell 2 and 3 seem fine but who drives is 1st. I head out and put it in manual 1 and all be, no engine braking. So I proceded to the fix. Which was to reference the attached chart and update the valve body separator plate the latest version. And sure enough problem solved. But one thing does concern me... or at least is suspect to me. That is the flashing O/D light and Then No Codes. Couple of thoughts here. If the truck is shut off the code is lost the Tranny codes are not always stored in the KAM while some are. I dont know if the 55e has "limp mode" like the newer 55s/55w but I have worked of vehicles that symptomaticlly lost OverD, but rather fluid temps reached 240+ and the PCM safe moded them. And lastly Clogged catalytic systems in the earliy stages can dramatically effect the transmission for several reasons besides the glowing cat inches from the tranny pan. Much apologizes for the "yawning" long winded post. Hope this help and PM me if you need me to forward the TSB to reference the part #'s. Good luck.

7. Macgiobuin

Macgiobuin Active Member

City, State:
    Northern Virginia
    01Sp2W 00Mtr 06B3k 96Astr
    The overdrive band servo gets baked by the catalytic converter, causing the o-ring segment to weld to the cylinder wall. Sometimes the piston moves, and the band grabs, sometimes not. Take out the piston and replace it (the rubber o-ring part is molded on), or sand the edges blunt and smooth and clean out the cylinder walls.

Last edited: September 10, 2012
  8. 99exsport4.0

99exsport4.0 New Member

1999 Ford Explorer Sport
    My O/D Off light was blinking and and I was not able to read any codes, until I checked the continuous memory with my scanner. I then found P0731, and P0734. My X works in 1 and 2, but not in drive or reverse.