Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1999 Ford Explorer XLT - Strange Fuel Pump Issue

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by jgalt1, January 19, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jgalt1

jgalt1 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1999 Ford Explorer XLT
      My wife's 1999 ford explorer was having trouble starting periodically. We changed the battery and ultimately had the same problem so started to look at fuel.

I listened at the gas filler cap to determine if I could hear the fuel pump energize while the car was cranked. I didn't hear it and it wouldn't start. I then opened the gas cap and tried again and heard it energize and it started right up. This has now been repeated a dozen times or so and opening the gas cap enables the fuel pump to energize and start the car.

I checked the fuel pump pressure and it seems good. Also replaced the fuel pump relay but it still behaves this way. maybe once or twice a week my wife has to open the gas cap to get the car to start.

I'm wondering if I should just have the fuel pump replaced due to age and hope that fixes it but don't really have the $$$ to get it done now. I'm hoping there may be a simplier/less costly fix.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. bobflood

bobflood Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Powder Springs, GA
      1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
      Looking at the wiring diagrams, it appears that there is a fuel tank pressure sensor that is involved in the fuel pump operating circuit. It probably sits on top of the gas tank. Sorry to sound so vague - but I am just looking at a wiring diagram, not a full shop manual. Good luck.

4. jgalt1

jgalt1 New Member

1999 Ford Explorer XLT
      Okay, thanks. I will do some research on that.

5. rb142

rb142 Active Member

City, State:
      Detroit, MI
      2001 Ranger XLT 4X4
      You need to check into the EVAP purge system. If you have pressure building up in the tank, the purge system isn't working right.

6. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
      VA
      2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
      I'd wager the pump is on the way out, but you could check for voltage at the pump next time to rule out electrical such as relay, harness, connections, etc.

7. jgalt1

jgalt1 New Member

1999 Ford Explorer XLT
      Thanks guys. How do I check the "EVAP"/"PURGE" system? I am planning to replace fuel pump/filter soon as a preventative due to age but want to buy some time if I can.

8. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      ^ This. My money's on bad fuel pump. If you can do the job yourself (and you just replace the pump) you can replace the pump, strainer, hoses and filter for under $80. Next time it wont start, thump the bottom, rear of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet or piece of wood, rather than removing the fuel cap. I don't see why excess pressure in the fuel tank would prevent the pump from running.

9. jgalt1

jgalt1 New Member

1999 Ford Explorer XLT
      Thanks. As of now we still have the problem but don't always have to open the fuel cap....if we don't hear the whine of the pump when the key is move to ON...we try again and on the next one or couple tries we hear it engaged and then crank it and it starts.

If the pump is going bad why would it ONLY give us issues on starting? No issues while running. Maybe It can happen like that though, I'm not that knowledgeable.

Wondering what typical shop cost would be to replace? Can't do it myself.

10. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      Classic intermittent bad pump operation. I had the exact same symptoms on my 2000 Mountaineer. I don't know what a shop will charge you. Make some phone calls, but make sure they install a Bosch fuel pump. My guess is something around $300.

11. imp

imp Well-Known Member

59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
      The purpose of the tank vapor pressure sensor is to alert the computer (PCM) to loss of vapor pressure within the tank. Loss of pressure could be caused by the fuel cap left off (vapor emitted to atmosphere, a no-no), cracked hose or other leak of vapor between tank and vapor canister, or failed solenoid(s) which control ingestion of canister vapor into engine, to be burned as "fuel".

The pressure sensor cannot in any way affect the pump being able to run or not. It is there strictly to detect vapor loss to atmosphere. imp

12. jgalt1

jgalt1 New Member

1999 Ford Explorer XLT
      Thank you for your reply. I think based on the responses, I will proceed to get the fuel pump/filter replaced. Thanks for tip on Bosch fuel pump.

13. Runnin'OnEmpty

Runnin'OnEmpty Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Southeast USA
      2000 Sport
      Just like with any electric motor, starting takes the most amperage. The fuel pump brushes wear out and lose
      contact with the commutator and cause the intermittant
      starting. Once the fuel pump is running, current draw is
      less and the fuel pump will continue running...until the
      next stop and start.

I too would install a new pump.