1999 Ford Ranger XLT - Brake Light on Dash Stays Lit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ford Ranger XLT - Brake Light on Dash Stays Lit

cfowler

Reaction score
City, State
London, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Ranger XLT
Hey all;

I've got a 1999 Ford Ranger XLT and recently the brake light on the dash is coming on (not the ABS light) and staying on. At first I thought it was for the emergency brake (possibly sticking) because when I would engage the emergency brake then release the light would go off which is normal. Now it's coming on even though the emergency brake has been released. The brakes seem to be fine and the fluid in the master cylinder is full (which is what the manual says to check). The only thought I have is that the emergency brake is sticking but I'm not sure how to check for this. I'm a Telecommunications Technician by trade so auto-mechanics is kinda new to me. Please be kind. :)

TIA!

Carter

Check the pin switch at the e-brake pedal. Perhaps it is sticking, or there is a broken wire.

Next, I would check the fluid level sensor in the master cylinder - start with the wiring. Disconnect the wire from the sensor - the light should be on. Ground the wire - the light should go out. Could be as simple as a bad connection (corrosion, etc.)

Do some simple investigation, and report back the results. We will go from there...

Next, I would check the fluid level sensor in the master cylinder - start with the wiring. Disconnect the wire from the sensor - the light should be on. Ground the wire - the light should go out. Could be as simple as a bad connection (corrosion, etc.)

I have the same issue on a 99 XLT w/ 190k. I was having a squeaky brake and ended up replacing the front calipers and master cylinder today. I used the old sensors on the new master. Good news is the brakes now work great but the BRAKE light on the dash has been on continuously since then.

Im 90% sure the issue isn't the e-brake, that didn't get touched.

That leaves the master cylinder and there are two electronic sensors on it...one for the low fluid level (on the bottom of the fluid resevoir) and one in 'front' of the resevoir that has two wires....I assume this is the one you are referring to as the ground out? I think this is just some sort of dummy light that triggers the light on the dash if the pressure is low?? I know there is plenty of pressure so do you know which of the two wires need to be grounded in order to test if this is the issue? I have seen that these sensors are $10-$15 so that isnt a bid deal but I dont want to buy one if that is not the issue.

I will dig into this tomorrow, time to drink beer tonight.

Back