Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1st and 2nd Gen A-Pillar NMO Antena Mount

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by Brian1, March 29, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Tags:
  1. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1991 XLT
    Callsign:
    KG5BAQ
    About a year ago I made a bracket to install a NMO mount antenna just behind the hood and in front of the A-pillar on my Explorer for my VHF radio. Previously I had been using a mag mount that I removed after each trip and I got tired of doing that so I decided to go with a more permanent solution.

I redesigned my LED pod light brackets to fit a NMO mount instead. It doesn't require any drilling and bolts right on. I have been using a Larsen 2/70 NMO antenna and it has been working out great! I also bought a NMO cap for the times I want to remove the antenna.

I also took the rubber cover off the radio antenna on a parts Explorer and cut it down slightly to install on the Larsen antenna to stiffen it some and cover up the set screws at the bottom.

[​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.