• Register Today It's free!

1st gen 4x4 dash light dimly lit

Forder

Reaction score
City, State
West Point, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT, '05 Altima 3.5
Every since I have been back from basic and AIT (gone from June-November), I have noticed that the little "4x4" light indicator beside the button on the dash lights half-way up at random times. One time the "Low Range" light came on halfway with it too. You can hardly tell it's on in daylight, but at night you can see it clearly lit. It just goes halfway on and off randomly during any drive, doesn't seem to be happening at any specific point or action.

My 4x4 and low-range engage and disengage fine, so it's no real biggie, just annoying. I know my 4x4 isn't engageing by itself cuz my other 4x4 lights arent coming on down my the steering column by the ABS light and I definitly don't feel it. Anyone had this prob and know how to fix? I would guess it's an easy fix though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No ideas..... anyone..?

Have your alternator checked out, as well as all your ground connections and battery connections.

Dan

you know how to test alternator right? to make sure its good...

My alternator?? But all my other electrical stuff works fine and my battery has never lost charge. How could it be that?

Mine has done this too at times. It hasn't done it for at least a year now. I have replaced the 4x4 shift motor and have had the dash apart since then. I'm guessing it could be the molex plug on the back of the switches. When the problem had started occuring for me was when I had the dash apart to install a new head unit. Try fumbling around with the molex plug if you can and let us know if that seems to help.

Mine has done that about 6 times in the last eight years LoL....Nothing much to worry about.

Back