Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

1st Gen Radio Installations

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by Lt.Jim, August 23, 2006.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Lt.Jim

Lt.Jim Well-Known Member

City, State:
    South Central Pennsylvania/NorthernMaryland
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    94 XLT
    I built a box for mine.
    [​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Dana Point, CA
    '93 XLT
    Antenna and Radio Locations

Well gang, some of these pic of my antenna locations, radios, radio and equipment mounting locations have been posted before, and some are new, but hopefully they will provide some ideas which you can use for your applications.

The Ist jpg is of the cabin equipment stack: Top left, Garmin GPS. Top Center, remote Control Head for a Kenwood TM-742 Ham Tri-bBand, VHF, UHF w, 2M, 220 MHz, 440 Mhz bands. Below the heater controls, is the remote control head for an Alinco DX70, HF 160 thru 10 meter, + 6 Meter 100 Watt Ham radio. Below the Alinco head is an inside / outside thermometer, below that is the Cobra CB w/ weather band radio. The switch panel below that is for various exterior lights and accessories. To the right, is a 'Clearspeech" Digital sound processing speaker for the Alinco HF. The console is custom (by me).

Next shot is a closeup. Note: the Hei-Sound Mic on the left for the Alinco HF, and the Kenwood Mic w/ dtmf keypad on the right id for the VHF / UHF The mic hung sideways on the left is for the Cobra CB. The Alinco head is where the ashtray used to be. I don't smoke, so it was waste space, but made a great mounting location.

#3 jpg is the Alinco DX-70 HF and Kenwood TM-742 tri-band radios mounted on the "Filler" floor panels that fold up behind the rear passenger seat backs, and fill in the floor when the rear seats are folded down.

#4 jpg, close up of the DX70 mounted, #5 seat folded and "Filler" floor panel flat, The radios fit in the void left by the folded seat back. #5 is the left rear seat upright, with the Alinco DX-70 shown.

Antenna Mount locations are in #6. on the brushbar " Auzzie style", is a "Perth Outbacker" multi band HF antenna for the Alinco HF. ( I typically don't install this antenna on Off Road trips, but carry it under the back seat until needed. On the roof top is a Comet SBB-224 tri-band antenna for the Kenwood 742, a Wilson 1000 base loaded CB antenna, and on the rack is a 6 Meter antenna.

#7 is a close-up of the Outbacker HF antenna and mounting spring. This antenna could go other places, but I took a hint from the Australians who frequently mount their taller Ham or CB antennas on the front of their Bush Vehicles, so they can see if they're about to kill the expensive antenna on a low tree branch or other overhanging obstacle. Made a lot of sense to me, and beats the heck out of destroying a $300 - $400 antenna cause you couln't see that it was going to hit something overhead.

Since I run a '93 Ex, my radio / antenna mounting solutions apply mostly to the older vehicles, but maybe they will give you some ideas you can put to use.

Attached Files:

5. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Dana Point, CA
    '93 XLT
    MORE Antenna / Radio mounts

Here's the rest;)

Attached Files:

6. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
    Hatton, MO
    1994 XL
    Here's mine. It's an old Royce CB that's about 30 years old. It was in my grandpa's shed and I don't think it had ever been installed. My wife couldn't believe that I was hacking up the dash to get it to fit, but old school can be cool. :cool:

[​IMG]

7. FROADER

FROADER Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    1997 XLT
    Wow Jim, I really like that! Not sure how I missed this thread since August... :rolleyes: I'm going to have to use your idea.

Ray...:confused: :p:

8. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    I moved the post to the new thread I started just for 1st gen installs. ;)

FROADER, I had an old Royce like that ... back in high school. It was my Dad's, and he hadn't used it in several years. It worked like a champ until I hooked my antenna up wrong and blew it out. :(

9. FROADER

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    1997 XLT
    Ahhh, you are sneaky sneaky...:D

Well since I liked LT.Jim's so much, I "copied" his idea. It houses a Cobra Classic 29LTD along with my light switches and the cigarette lighter/power supply which I use for my ipod and phone charger.

[​IMG]

Click here to see my build thread.

Last edited: March 6, 2007
  10. Jason94sport

Jason94sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
    South FL
    02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
    Nothing special....
    [​IMG]

11. lycan91

lycan91 Active Member

City, State:
    Yreka CA population 7,500 just shy of oregon border
    1996 XLT
    i think i may have to mount my cb where jason94 did. cant build a box damn 5 speed and i dont want to cut my dash cuz i use my ashtray for change. i may buy a new cobra from like walmart for 40 bucks i have one of my dads old ones which i may just stick with. dont know yet.

12. thebiggreen

thebiggreen New Member

City, State:
    Roanoke, Va
    '93 Sport
    this is a long time after this post, but what kind of mount did you use to put the cb there, or did you screw it in underneath un "into" where the ashtray is?

peace

13. sledgehammer1990

sledgehammer1990 Active Member

City, State:
    Doylestown, PA
    '94 XLT
    What? Have people given up on the first gens? I received mine and installed it today. Just finished and works great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Blue_93

Blue_93 New Member

City, State:
    Zimmerman, MN
    93 XLT
    How do you guys keep your radios safe? Because a locked doors isn't going to prevent somebody from breaking the window. I ask because I just installed my Ham radio under the the ash tray And I really don't want anybody to take it.

15. sledgehammer1990

sledgehammer1990 Active Member

City, State:
    Doylestown, PA
    '94 XLT
    In my pictures, I have a new head unit just above that CB. I would be surprised to see someone break into my blue/purple explorer for a CB. Not something someone would do in the area I live in. I don't have my explorer anymore, but in my new car, I have my CB sitting right on my dash. I don't really see people stealing a CB radio.

16. FROADER

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    1997 XLT
    If someone wants something out of your car/truck enough, they will get it.

17. dislexiclawyer

dislexiclawyer Active Member

2013 Toyota Tacoma
    I can't believe I haven't posted my radio setup yet. I started out with the CB in the center console but I didn't have a spot to hang my mic, and I really started to miss the small storage pocket I cut out to put the radio in. I figured out that my radio fits perfectly in the hole that the ashtray sits in so I basically gutted the ashtray and turned it into a bracket for the radio. The picture is kind of old, but I have since hung the mic from my rear view mirror. I also need to mount my external speaker. It will go under the dash just to the right of my cd changer display.

Now on to the pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the before setup:
    [​IMG]

18. CobraMountaineer

CobraMountaineer Active Member

City, State:
    Salisbury, MD
    1998 Merc Mountaineer
    I have found that Jotto Desk makes really nice center consoles for Ex's. I had one in my '93 sport, and It worked great. Armrest, cup holder, everything a donut muncher needs. You can find consoles on ebay. The Crown Vic consoles work the best for Gen I and Gen II Ex's. What is also nice is that the mount on the floor for the Gen I helps hold the console in place. I would rather go with a center console then tearing up the dash. Here are some pice from my Gen II Mounty.
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...viewPicture&friendID=24076827&albumId=2953918

Thanks guys for posting your stuff...

19. 1badnevergo

1badnevergo New Member

City, State:
    Gulfport, Ms
    '92 Mazda Navajo Lx 4.0
    my CB setup

Ok guys I can't post Pics of mine but this is what I have to start a Wilson 5000 10/11 meter antenna with aftermarket magnet mount and 1 ft extension for swr reasons the antenna is on the roof right behind my sunroof next is my Galaxy DX 959 with 80 watt finals modulator kit and 10/11 meter mod and high/low channel mod mounted on my transhump as I drive a 5 spd a permenet mounted swr/watt meter on the passenger side dash then an external speaker with a visor clip on the driverside a pillar next is a 2000 watt super star linear stashed between the shifter boot and the a/c box then behind the grille is a 300 watt pa speaker. To top it off a glow in the dark mic holder on the side of the dash where the stereo is to power my rig I have a size 0 amp wire with a 150 watt spike eliminator and finally under the glove box is a dual trunk tracker 2 scanner and to protect my assets I have added a viper custom alarm

20. SuRrEaLNJ

SuRrEaLNJ hail to the king, baby! Elite Explorer

City, State:
    out of my mind...
    MUNK 07 Focus 97 XL1200C
    real simple. cobra 18 wx st II slung under the dash. antenna is in front of the radio antenna on the r/f fender

[​IMG]

21. willindsay

willindsay Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Sevierville,TN
    94 Limited
    I instaled mine with a saw tooth mount. I also put a triple cigarette lighter under it to power my phone Ipod and the cooler for trips to college.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a taillight bracket for my Antenna and painted it white to somewhat match the paint.

[​IMG]

And my favorite part.

[​IMG]

So what do ya'll think?

Last edited: April 24, 2012