Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1st Road Trip

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by OneFast440, August 1, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. OneFast440

OneFast440 New Member

City, State:
      Mesa, AZ
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '11 Limited
      We got our 2011 Limited Explorer July 12th and have been very happy with our purchase. We went on our 1st camping trip with it and only ran into some small issues. The 1st one is that when we camp my wife seems to bring the entire house with us, so needless to say the back of the Explorer was stuffed (had the 3rd row folded down). Stuffed so much that the 3rd row seat switch was accidentally pressed by our supplies. The seat tried to raise and never gave up, I hope nothing happened to the motor. I finally got it to stop and moved our supplies away from the switch. I wish there was a cover or off position on those switches. Our only other problem we noticed was if you gave the car full throttle (to get on the freeway) we notices that A/C got much warmer. We live in Arizona so A/C is very much needed. Once we let off the throttle. The A/C cooled back down. This seemed very odd to me because A/C usually works better when the engine is at higher RPMs. Besides those two issues everything else went smoothly. I love how the engine will down shift and hold your speed down hills. The Explorer handles very well around corners and the ride was incredibly smooth. We had our MFT updated to 2.11 and had no issues the entire trip. Everything loaded quickly and we could navigate around the system just fine.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. lmtdexplr

lmtdexplr New Member

City, State:
      milwaukee
      2011 ex ltd
      Good suggestion for a "button cover". Two times i've bumped the switch and have had the seats try to go from level to upright. They stall and cause me to unload everything to get them to reset. IMO auto 3rd row is a p.i.t.a.

4. VinceL

VinceL Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Frisco, TX
      2013 Explorer Limited
      Most, if not all cars, do that. I am not sure the reason. The voices on the internet say it is to reduce drag on the engine and provide more power when requested in a full-throttle situation.

In other words, it is completely normal :)

As for the button cover, or a cut-off switch, I think that is a great idea.

5. vulnox

vulnox Member

City, State:
      Overland Park, Kansas
      '11 XLT 202A
      Yeah, every vehicle I have ever been in does that. Putting load on the engine to accelerate will rarely do it, but putting heavy load puts it into kind of an "emergency acceleration" mode where it gives you as much power as it can offer. From 10 seconds of searching in Google I found tons of results from every vehicle manufacturer, all the same final answer:
      "There is a WOT (wide open throttle) relay under the hood that disconnects the compressor clutch when you get near WOT. It allows the vehicle to have more acceleration when needed."

Some mentioned it is to keep the AC from having to keep up with 6000+RPM, but who knows. The main thing is that it is normal.

6. OneFast440

OneFast440 New Member

City, State:
      Mesa, AZ
      '11 Limited
      Good to hear! I guess I had never noticed it in my 2005 Toyota Tacoma.