Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1st to 2nd slow shift

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by SCHOE2, July 6, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. SCHOE2

SCHOE2 New Member

City, State:
    Dearborn, Michigan
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '98,99 XLT Sports
    I normally am a manual transmission guy so the automatic has me a bit baffled. I have a 1999 Sport with the 4.0l engine 4x4 and an automatic trans that is slow in the 1st to 2nd shift. It does the same thing as the A4LD governor problem. I do not know if I have the A4LD so I need some advice as to what is in my truck and how to fix it. Or do I need a new trans? I can get a real good used one for $200, but if I can fix the one in the truck and save the "coin" I can do some mods to the truck. HELP!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
    VA
    2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
    You may have the 5R55E. $200.00 is a very low price, in my opinion.
    I suppose if you were so inclined, you could drop the pan and have a peek at the valve body (in the trans you have now). If it was a simple fix, you could potentially save yourself the R&R labor. Just a thought...

4. fdelfino83

fdelfino83 New Member

City, State:
    Coweta, Oklahoma
    2000 Sport
    Ok, I have a 5R55E tranny and having the same issues as SCHOE2. if I go in and drop the pan, and take a peek at the valve body, what am I looking to see on valve body that will tell me thats my problem?? Please elaborate. Thank you...

5. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Greenville, SC
    00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
  6. SCHOE2

SCHOE2 New Member

City, State:
    Dearborn, Michigan
    '98,99 XLT Sports
    Shift Probs

I had to take a long trip yesterday in the Explorer and it was the slow shift into 2nd along with the flashing od signal, but after reading the great comments on the 5R55E Saga, I am convinced it is the VB. I will yank the VB and check the gaskets and probably replace the VB since I will be in there. I might as well add a drain plug to it. Thanks to everyone! God bless us all!!
    SCHOE2

We Support Our Troops!