2 problems,Dash Squeaking sound & Audio system LCD Lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2 problems,Dash Squeaking sound & Audio system LCD Lights

DrJPB

Reaction score
City, State
Paki in Q8
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer, 2006
1. :-
The factory installed Audio system (CD/Radio) LCD gone out. It first started with less illumination (dim) and now it's totally gone.
the buttons shows light but LCD not, time, track info,etc, not appearing.
NeyvY.jpg

2. :-

Squeaking sound from dash (area between AC switch and Transmission Knob.
It's a US import 2006 Explorer XLT, and what I believe is due to hot weather of Kuwait, the dash started Squeaking during normal drive.
It's really annoying, and want an easy solution for it. What to be replaced or is there any other way to get rid of it.
EyTrT.jpg

Ok, i got the answer for the second question, so this will be guide as well for the second one. Though still waiting for the first one.

Now don't be upset as English is not my mother tongue, i know my explanation/guide is ______ (fill in the blanks).

I checked net for some details, i did found a guide to undo the dash for Audio system installation, luckily it was in this forum, don't remember the OP's name, but 90% credit's goes to OP's guide, which helped me to get familiar with the parts which i will be dealing with.

This guide will help who have similar issue, or may help partially.

First you have to unscrew the two screws found under the middle arm rest compartment, open the lid and you will find two screws underneath.
After that you have to take out the chrome bezel, the oval part surrounding the Transmission Lever (Knob), just use your finger tips/nails to take it out, it's easy.
Now you have to take the whole part out, taking care of the Charging Bay harness, which you have to take out before pulling the whole part.

Before having a look at the first picture, i know it was a bad state under the dash, i believe the first owner was spilling a lot of coffee down there, have to spend half the time cleaning it. :eek:

iytpz.jpg

In the second picture you can see the wear tear of the plastic piece, which was my guess that this might be giving that squeaking sound, by rubbing it self with the other plastic insert.

TBH6B.jpg

So i used seal tape (the one use in piping/plumbing jobs), the reason why i used this tape is due to it's qualities, thin, rubber-ish , and non sticky (don't like any sticky stuff left behind by sticky tapes), just a couple of rounds around that plastic piece.

0rthq.jpg

That's all, just put all the things back in the same way you opened it.
Hope this helps.

My first guide, to my own problem. Comments are most welcome, so to improve my future guides.

Back