2 year project complete-351w,ford 9",dana 44, 35s, with pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2 year project complete-351w,ford 9",dana 44, 35s, with pics

well i finally got the thing driveable. i am still lacking a front driveshaft (that is why i am bearly flexing in the pic, i had to creep up in 2wheel) the tranny pan has a slight leak, i need to replace a rear wheel seal but other then that its rockin. the 351 has about 55 psi when cold and about 25-30 hot. the motor runs cool, not sure how cool because i dont have a temp gauge but i am running a large electric fan, a rigid fan off the water pump, and a 160 degree thermostat. its a four core aluminum radiator that is the the same size as an explorer radiator. i am running the tranny cooler in the radiator and an aftermarket one. there are still quite a few little things i have to pick at to get right but its basically done... well it will never be done, but you know what i mean :D :D

heres the specs..

94 explorer sport

5.8 ford v8
edelbrock carb
edelbrock intake manifold
mild cam
four core aluminum radiator
160 degree thermostat
electric fan and rigid fan
tranny cooler
remote mount oil filter
aftermarket radiator overflow kit
ford racing valve covers
c-6 tranny with wicked shift kit
new process transfer case, not sure which one

suspension
fullsize dana 44 with bronco coils
bronco shock mounts and coil buckets
cheapo shocks front and rear
no sway bars
ford 9inch rear end
heavier duty spring packs in rear
custom shackles

custom dual exhaust with chambered glasspacks
5" monster tach
sony xplod deck
mechanical temp and oil pressure guages

16x10 pro comp polished aluminum rims
315/75/16 xterrains

and thats about all i can think of as of now... if you have any questions feel free to ask

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pictures pictures pictures. :)
I was where you are at about 2 weeks ago, 1600 miles later, no leaks, I have a front driveshaft and now I am working to install A/C (amongst other things)

it is a REAL treat to drive, congrats!

the paint might look a little dull because i havent washed it in TWO YEARS.... guess i know what i have to do "wax on wax off" :cool:

tell me what you think, like ive already said this has been a 2year project and a large accomplishment for myself, im only 18 and did about 90 percent of the work... im very proud of it, tell me what you think

410 thanks for the congrats... when i finally got her to the point that i could cruise around, well i couldnt have been happier.. there is a slight vibration at slower speeds, but i think its just the tires, besides that it drives absolutly awesome. one of the best mods that i did to it was probobly the saginaw power steering pump. it turns the big tires effortlessly and doesnt make a single sound.

Looks clean! For the firt time in 10 years my BII has no whine sound either from the PS pump, I used the 97 Explorer 5.0L pump with my steering box, turns 35's no problem-o

I bet that Sport hauls ASS!!! Because I know my BII with a 5.0L screams.....

yeah it rips it up pretty good, and thats with the 3.50 gears, i cant wait till i put in the new gears... i can't decide if i want 4.10s or 4.56s... keep in mind that its a three speed and my daily driver

thats what i thought

i mean it peels the 35s with the 3.50s so 4.10s will kick ass

im still not sure on that.. im going to need a front driveshaft. i have a friend that said he will drive me down there with his big diesel and gooseneck trailer if he can ride shotty. so i might be down there, but even if i am i will probobly be takin it easy since it really hasnt been offroaded much yet. the picture of it flexin is right in my driveway

^^Nice driveway then :D This is the first time that I've seen some good pics of this thing...and I have to say it looks great. I can really tell that you put in a lot of hard work. It looks like it will be a VERY capable rig once you get that front drive shaft. I will be doing the same swap, but I'm leaving the 4.0. I too will be doing a lot of the work, but due to the lack of tools, skills, and experience(I'm only 17), I won't be able to do the entire thing myself :(

Man Gen I sports are SWEET, they have such a great wheel base. If iwas to do it over again.......gen I sport on a boxed Sport frame with a solid axle or long travel TTB (depending on use)

I bet you could find a 1st gen sport for fairly cheap. ;)

yeah yeah I think 3 5.0L's is enough for now :)
You can find straight BII's for about $400

good luck bmxking on your conversion. if i could change one thing about mine it would be that i didnt get discouraged so often... i would have been done long ago if i didnt always get pissed and stopped. its difficult doing all the work at a young age, i started mine when i was 16 i beleive(it was so long ago im not sure) and all ive got to say is it was all worth it. every time i drive it i get compliments and all the local parts stores love to look it over and say, "hey i remeber when i sold you that part a year ago" haha... just stick with it and everything will be worth it

research is key.
I planned 3 months, it took me 6
I have done these kinds of conversion before so that helps.

I did not run into a single problem I did not expect because of the amount of research I did on the conversion before hand.
Dont get discouraged, there were a couple times where I was like, "oh great now what", or "how much?" but it all works out in the end, and let me tell you driving this BII makes it all worth it.....

im going to say ahmen to that. that is exactly what i went through, yet i look back at all the problems and laugh at how easy i overcame them....

All I have is a 9" so far and I already know it will be worth it. Surprisingly, my dad is the first person on my list of people discouraging me. I don't think he realizes that I have over 100 threads saved on SAS'ed Explorers, Rangers, and Bronco IIs...and I've read EVERY one of them atleast once. All of the research will definitely be worth it once I start saving money on stuff b/c I actually know what I'm doing(sort of ;) )

Man, I can not wait to start tearing out that old TTB. :bounce:

im suprised nobody has made mention to my non-existent windshield wiper motor...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey I am 32 and my dad is the same way still, even after having this truck for 10 years...I got it from him for $500 :)

he says, for all the $$$ and time you spend you could have a cadillac, to which I respond of course, Cadillac's, even the new SUV ones dont do well in moab :)

He also says "Why didnt they put a V8 in here" every time he drives his 05 Jeep Sahara hahahaha

I think with this conversion he was actually impressed, he was REALLY impressed to see it driving so soon. He always thinks I am in way over my head, but then I catch him up in the barn looking at my progress :) hahahaha

I keep telling them it's their fault, they bought me RC cars when I was like 10 :)

Back