Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

$200 96 4.0 Project

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by RandomNerd2000, June 27, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. EB4X

EB4X Active Member

City, State:
    Orange county, Ca
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    95 Explorer E.B. 4X4
    "So far so good, pretty nice truck. Scored a set of Nexen Roadian ATs for cheap.."
    Good deal....just keep it for a backup vehicle.... the OHV with just under 100K is a baby still !

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. RandomNerd2000

RandomNerd2000 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    South Carolina
    00 5.0, 01 4.0.
    So I got the title in my name, truck's old title came with the repo paperwork, which took four people at the DMV to figure out how to handle since apparently nobody buys repos around here, but it's arrived in my name so time to put some actual money in it.

I'm probably different but I don't generally touch a vehicle until the title is in my name, even if it's signed to me.

4. RandomNerd2000

City, State:
    South Carolina
    00 5.0, 01 4.0.
    So I've started figuring it out. I started with the blatantly obvious, the GEM being a problem child. I went to the junkyard, and got one out of another 96, and it's identical, exact same numbers, and put it in. Now the fuse doesn't blow and the speedo works perfectly, it seems to shift better too. It counts miles again too.

Now we're on to step two, further tracing. The front windows click in the dash and don't go up or down, the rears do though. I think it's a window motor/regulator problem but will definitely test before tearing into a door. The rear wiper doesn't do anything, the passenger mirror doesn't either. Other than that, the bare minimum of power features seem to work. Still no AC, probably just going to swap compressor out, seems simple, it's a reman unit already so I'm not too big a fan.

Then comes my ultimate frustration of the week, the batteries in both this and my 2000 have failed, one fails load testing and the other isn't holding charge. Walmart here we come.

5. 96eb96

96eb96 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Albany, NY
    96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
    I'm tempted to buy the 49$ WM battery.

6. RandomNerd2000

City, State:
    South Carolina
    00 5.0, 01 4.0.
    I've had two of them, they're stout, got one in a V10 truck with a box on the back and it's two years old now and still a touch of the key to crank that thing. I've got a Carquest one in the 2000 at the moment, can't say I like it much, the terminals suck.