$200 V8 Project | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$200 V8 Project

So, did some work on it, changed out the OEM serpentine belt at 257K, not making that up, a Motorcraft belt with obviously a ton of wear, not cracked bad but I took the one from the 99 and switched them, that one had a new belt, put a new idler and tensioner pulley on it, both were OEM as well, couldn't last but so long, then I came up with my first real snag of driving it daily, the thermostat failed, I think, someone give me input on this I need the truck in the morning, when I started driving it it didn't warm all the way up, then it got to where it did, then it started running warm, not hot, and I've got a new thermostat to go in it, but I'm concerned because when it's hot, the upper hose has no pressure in it, it's not leaking however and staying full, heat is hot inside of it. Radiator cap a suspect? I have several so it's not a big deal to me but I want to know before I have a disaster and it run hot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's possible it has some air in it, which disguises the actual temperature of the coolant inside the engine. Did you open anything of the cooling system at all?

If you think it's running hot, check the coolant quality and then plan for a change of the T-stat, and other hoses if you can. I did all of mine(except the heater core hoses) the one time I could work on it before needing it at work. The rubber gets very weak with age, looks fine but a little extra pressure(temp) and they can blow.

I suggest a 180* T-stat for your/this area, you don't the extra heat now or in the Winter. It doesn't affect engine A/F ratio at 180, that has to be under something like 140 or so do something negative. I like the Motorad T-stat, those are made to lock open if they overheat, which is much better than possibly sticking shut or partially shut.

So update, cooling system issues are fixed, thermostat and radiator cap, both were OEM, also did hoses and while in there the serpentine belt and idlers (all Motorcraft stuff being replaced), then drove it like 200 miles, now I've got a misfire, so I pulled some plugs for checking them out, all 8 are a mismatched set, one was an OEM plug, and it looks the part of 257K miles so I'm doing the plugs tomorrow, hopefully don't have any break off, had four out for inspection and they all came right out, looked rough though.

So following the spark plug that rounded and was brought out with a bolt grip, I drove it well over 100 miles with some enthusiasm, absolutely LOVE this truck, V8 Eddie Bauer is definitely happening, also took the time to get some stuff to put a sub in the back as well as try my hand at window tinting, also got a hood visor and Limited grille, so I'm making changes, gonna get the white rear hatch in a few days hopefully, smoke the tails and do custom lights all around it.

That truck is getting lots of great care, no doubt you've saved it and it will last for many more years. Keep at it, love it more and more.

So following the spark plug that rounded and was brought out with a bolt grip, I drove it well over 100 miles with some enthusiasm, absolutely LOVE this truck, V8 Eddie Bauer is definitely happening, also took the time to get some stuff to put a sub in the back as well as try my hand at window tinting, also got a hood visor and Limited grille, so I'm making changes, gonna get the white rear hatch in a few days hopefully, smoke the tails and do custom lights all around it.

Exactly what did you use to get the rounded plug out? I just rounded one in my son's '97 Mountaineer. The rest came out with no problem, but the heat shield didn't allow enough clearance on this one. I rounded the plug trying to get the shield out and getting a socket on the plug.

Exactly what did you use to get the rounded plug out? I just rounded one in my son's '97 Mountaineer. The rest came out with no problem, but the heat shield didn't allow enough clearance on this one. I rounded the plug trying to get the shield out and getting a socket on the plug.

Personally, I broke the top off of the plug so I could get an Irwin Bolt Grip on it and it brought it right out, a 5/8" one, comes in a $20 set at Lowes, there's a link in this thread for a deep wall one though, this is the thread I made about it.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/5-0l-with-a-rounded-spark-plug.464319/

Thanks! The one I rounded off is also #3 cylinder!

No problem, I personally would go the deep wall route if you have access to the Snap-On truck, but that worked for me and saved me pulling the head on a 5.0 with 257K

So, since then, I've been driving it, and it's strong as can be now, and getting actually really good fuel economy, averaging 20MPG at 65 on the highway, running no name highway tires, that's better than my SOHC by far, I averaged 16 out of it. Did a DIY 20% tint on the front windows, came out rather well for a first time tinting, looks great too, changed the way the truck looks and I love it.

Ended up ditching the DIY tint, reason being it wasn't the right tint and I'm picky, loved being in the dark but didn't suit me in the looks department, was too bluish. Anyhow, gave it a bath earlier, came out great too, can't wait to fix this hatch so it'll be white too, getting time to start on the cosmetics. Those blind spot mirrors would be long gone but I halfway like them since they help on the highway.

IMG_20170718_200816_054_zpsa1pmz0ru.jpg

Photobucket has left us hanging.

Yes, we have to stop using them to teach them how to treat customers properly.

Yes, we have to stop using them to teach them how to treat customers properly.

The only reason I ever used PhotoBucket was for posting pics to the forum. Is there an easy way to delete what I have there now? I looked this morning and it seemed like you can only delete one photo at a time.

The site should still let you work with your pictures, I've read people say things are very slow right now.

The real problem is all of the links we've spread around the web, all of those pictures are not viewable. Only if you could locate each of those and replace it with a good link, would the problem be fixed.

Well that's a heck of a note, I used photobucket mostly to stall becoming Elite, and only used it here, guess the time has come to become Elite. Must've happened after I posted that because it was initially showing, ah well.

So, haven't been too active, been working a ton and besides that, at 1,900 miles added to my V8, the spark plug has been the main issue outside the wiper delay being screwed and the door lock actuators needing real TLC, I've had a ton of fun with it, I wired it for subs since the Mach system in my Eddie Bauer was one of my favorite things and I missed it right out the gate, bought the rear hatch that's white off an 01 XLT so I can remove the Yee Yee when it quits raining, assuming we don't float away first, and did a general tuneup, other than that, I've had a smooth boat. The wiper delay is an intermittent issue, the wipers worked on all their speeds the other day and they work perfectly fine on the two top speeds, so I'm of the opinion still that's a GEM issue.

The front wiper I think may be a separate module, have you checked on that? I may be confused about it, because my Mark VII and Crown Vics all used the same wiper module, and I never looked into the SUV's. My 98 truck has a little clunk in the wiper operation, it may be time to replace those linkages.

Not really yet, I've also heard it could be the MFS? At 258K I wouldn't rule that out if it has an effect on the wipers. Also inbetween then and now had to replace the camshaft sensor, not the internal part, just the sensor itself that connects to the harness, started running like it lost timing, threw a code for it too, probably could've cleaned it up but it's a 258K mile sensor, probably due for service anyhow, $20 later and it's smooth as glass again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@CDW6212R

I've never looked at the Explorer wiper linkage, but most I have looked at use nylon bushings, which can be replaced.

Back