2000 4x4 passenger CV axle won't go all the way into diff | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 4x4 passenger CV axle won't go all the way into diff

300k+ trev

Reaction score
City, State
Modesto ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 4x4 xlt
Hey guys need some help really quick! Currently laying under my explorer as I'm trying to fit my new passenger CV axle all the way onto the spline that goes into the diff but it won't seem to go all the way in. Noticed the driver side doesn't go all the way in either and there's a small gap at the end of it. Pictures will be inserted. First picture is driver side, second will be passenger side. Can someone tell me if it's in all the way please?
IMG_20190203_212232952.jpg
IMG_20190203_212353333.jpg

Did you feel a "pop" when you inserted it? If not I would take it out and rotate it a bit and try inserting it again. They can be a little difficult to seat sometimes.

Did you feel a "pop" when you inserted it? If not I would take it out and rotate it a bit and try inserting it again. They can be a little difficult to seat sometimes.

Ended up taking it to a suspension shop that did a free inspection on everything for me. They said it's all in there all the way, I was just concerned on how far it looked out.
Had more problems than just that though. I had just replaced my wheel hub(same side as CV axle) but over 55 I was getting a really bad shaking on only the passenger side. They took it on a test drive and noticed the driver side rear wheel bearing was getting really bad and that the front passenger tire was separated causing a lot of tire movement. But all other suspension components we're tight and sturdy. Said I may have just gotten a bad wheel hub replacement up front and to try to swap it out with a different one to see what happens. So after grabbing 3 used tires (both my rears were more than bald as well) most of the shaking has gone away and I can really feel that rear wheel bearing going out.

Back