2000 explorer fuel pump or camshaft sensor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 explorer fuel pump or camshaft sensor?

jonsies12

Reaction score
City, State
WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
As i was coming home my explorer just died and wouldn't restart. I had to push it into my drive way where it still sits. I can hear the fuel pump when i turn the key but it will only turn over for a few seconds and than quit. I don't know if its the fuel pump or camshaft sensor or something else? Any help would be great thanks! No codes came up when checked, check engine light is on. Checked fuses and fuel pump shut off switch all good.

2000 4dr xlt
4.0lL soch v6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no engine light, no code came up when i check it

What events led up to this, besides just driving home. Did you stop to fill the tank by chance?

I would start by checking the air box and MAF for obstruction, then check fuel pressure.

Edit-which engine is in your explorer?

oops i was wrong the check engine light does come on and also the check gauge light!

oops i was wrong the check engine light does come on and also the check gauge light!

CEL on with engine running? or just whan key is on

Ok, which gauge is not "up"

are you sure you're not just out of gas?

are you sure you're not just out of gas?

i hate to agree, but that ^^^

normally when that light comes on, your out of gas, or overheated the hell out of it

i hate to agree, but that ^^^

normally when that light comes on, your out of gas, or overheated the hell out of it

Yeah, you gotta check the obvious stuff first. A mechanic friend of mine once told me a story about a guy who tore every relay and fuse out of his Explorer because he couldn't get it started. He finally gave up and had it towed to my friend's shop. After replacing everything it turned out the truck was just out of gas.

After replacing the timing belt and components on my daughter's PT Cruiser (no easy task) I couldn't get it started. Turned out it was so low on gas, that when I put it up on ramps there wasn't enough gas in the tank to keep the fuel pump submerged. I ended up tearing the engine apart again and found nothing wrong, only to finally notice afterwards that the fuel gauge was pegged below "E". Put gas in it and it fired right up.

which reminds me of a truck i bought to fix and resell. looked at it, it ran like hell. sputtering, puffing black smoke, and wouldnt stay running. to tow it home, i had to pull the driveshafts. i had noticed the gauges on the fuel side looked dead "both read nothing" his driveway was on a upward slope. i figured either bad injectors, crank trigger, bad maf, or worst case motor. i put it in neutral and it rolled out of his driveway. when it was in the back lane, it had a downward slope, so i had to do everything on the street. while it rolled itself down the lane i figured i will still try and start it. well it kicked over and ran. i figured i would see if it would drive itself out of the lane onto the street, and it did. i hooked it up to my truck, and while my dad pulled me, i would see if it would keep running. well it idled all the way home (45 min drive) till we got to my house. when we got there, it finally died. i grabbed a jerry can, put $10 into it, and put it in the truck. the gas gauge came up, and the truck started and ran fine. turns out he ran it so low on gas (he was going to trade it in on a new car until that happen) the pickup in the tank couldnt suck any fuel. bought it for $650, put a windshield into it, $200 for a safety and parts, and sold it for $5500 a month later :D

Back