1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2000 Explorer Intermittent starting issues

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by raybro, December 6, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. raybro

raybro New Member

City, State:
      16689 silver pine road
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2004 xlt
      My 2000 Explorer has been having intermittent starting problems. It doesn't matter whether it is hot, cold, dry or wet out. Some days it will start fine and then others it won't. There are even times when it will start first thing in the morning but then later in the day when I go to start it again, it doesn't want to start. I have to press on the accelorator to get it to start. Sometimes I even have to hold the accelerator down for several minutes in order for it to stay running. I have had a few occassions when it wouldn't stay running and sometimes when it does stay running it seems to be at a very low idle. I took it to a mechanic who did a diagnostic computer check which revealed no negative codes to indicate any problems. We changed the gas filter and did a pressure check, which was okay. I have put some chevron/techron additive in the gas tank. It seemed to have helped at first but now the problem has returned. If anyone has had similar problems or any ideas for me to try please reply asap.

Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. RiverRat

RiverRat Well-Known Member

City, State:
      San Diego, Ca
      1996 V8 Ranger 4x4
      Did you do a leak down test on the fuel injection system? IE shut off the engine with fuel pressure gauge connected and wacth for a drop. Could be a bad check valve or injector?

4. jjm0001

jjm0001 New Member

City, State:
      Wilmington, DE
      2000 Explorer Sport
      I think your problem is the IAC valve. I previoulsy experienced the same exact intermittent starting problems. If the car starts when you hold the gas pedal all the way down, then I think it's the IAC. Since I replaced the IAC, I've had no starting problems. Another example of a weak Ford design. Shameful! Let's see, Fords been in the auto business for about 100 years and can't get the starting thing down right? pretty lame.

5. Aquinoheat

Aquinoheat New Member

City, State:
      san diego
      2001 Explorer Sport
      wow this is exactly whats happening to my 2001 sport right now...I think i'll clean or buy a new one asap. I just came back from school but it idled extremely low (at the stop lights) the whole way home.