2000 Explorer SOHC V6 heater issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer SOHC V6 heater issues

BradyGoat

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ford Explorer LTD
Hey guys,

I've noticed that towards the end of this winter, it's taking longer and longer for my heater to warm up. The engine itself seems to get to normal operating temp pretty darn quickly (assuming gauge works, I have no reason to believe it doesn't)

I usually go out, start it up, scrape off snow/ice and then I take off shortly after. Earlier this winter it usually got warm by 4-5 minutes of idling. Now, it's blowing cool/barely warm air 10-15 minutes into my commute which is 15-20 minutes after it's been idling. It does get warm though, and seems to work ok after the 20 minutes or so.

I noticed it was low on coolant, and so I filled up the tank and it's still got antifreeze in it, so I don't think it's low. Where should I start? Since the engine temp seems fine, and the air eventually gets warm, I'm sort of confused.

Check the coolant level in the radiator, not just the tank. If you have a coolant leak the engine may not draw coolant from the tank, or the hose from the rad to the tank may be clogged.

Sorry, been a crazy week.

Thanks for the reply. It appears the radiator is totally full of coolant

Feel the heater hoses at the firewall to see if hot coolant is getting to the heater core. If the water is hot but the air is coming out cold, then you have a blend door problem.

Back