2000 ford explorer problems NEED HELP!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 ford explorer problems NEED HELP!!!!!

huntersansbury

Reaction score
City, State
lexington south carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer xls
I read the codes on my 2000 ford explorer and it says I have a bad knock sensor but doesnt have any symptoms of it not working. When I start it up it wants to stall out and usually does. When I start it again the RPM's go down real low and when I give it gas it responds but the RPM's still try to drop but after 20 seconds it starts to run correctly. When I take it out on the road it runs fine at first but when I get it up to a steady speed it doesnt want to accelerate and starts to choke out. Also sometimes when I'm at a stop sign, when I go to accelerate it doesnt respond even when I put my foot to the floor. It's acting like the fuel pump went out but I replaced it last summer. It did recently sit for about 5 months though. I just changed the fuel filter and plugs and nothing has changed. PLEASE HELP ME AND GIVE ME ANY SUGGESTIONS

Which DTC?

I assume that you have the SOHC V6 since it was the only engine in 2000 that had a knock sensor. Which of the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) below did you read?

P0325 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction (Bank I or Single Sensor)
P0326 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)
P0327 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Low Input (Bank I or Single Sensor)
P0328 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit High Input (Bank I or Single Sensor)
P0329 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Intermittent (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)
P0330 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2)
P0331 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 2)
P0332 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Low Input (Bank 2)
P0333 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit High Input (Bank 2)
P0334 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Intermittent (Bank 2)

The knock sensor normally causes the PCM to reduce the spark advance when the engine is accelerating under moderate to heavy load or when transitioning from light to heavy load. I've seen as much as 8 degrees of spark retard due to my knock sensor. It is difficult for the PCM to identify an incorrectly functioning knock sensor other than an open or shorted connection. I agree that your symptoms do not correlate to a dysfunctional knock sensor. I suggest that you read the DTCs again.

I thought I had the SOHC but I found out today I have the OHV. It maybe the cam shaft sensor

I was reading the repair manual and it could also be my IAC sensor or valve. It has many of the symptoms the correlates with that

Back