2000 Ford Explorer Stuck in 4wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ford Explorer Stuck in 4wd

GraceAF

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
2000 Ford Explorer; 110,000 miles; 4405-15 Transfer Case.
During the last snow, I was driving the Explorer and put it in 4wd high and low just to run it. Also ran it in "auto" on slippery road.

Ever since, with the switch in auto, the vehicle seems stuck in 4wd (noises and binds during turns). All 4wd high/low dash lights are off. The transfer case motor was binding so I replaced it. Also changed fluid in the case with no change. When the vehicle is off the ground, engine off, the front wheels spin freely. But, if you turn on the engine and put it in drive, all four wheels spin. Therefore, I believe the computer is commanding the clutch to engage thinking that the rear wheels are spinning. The symptoms are the same with the transfer case motor multi-connector disconnected (except the dash lights blink). I have also tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery.

I want to replace the sensors on the rear of the transfer case above the motor and by the rear shaft (I think they are the output shaft speed sensors - front and rear).

I cannot find the sensors anywhere online. Have not checked with the Ford Dealer for the parts yet.

If anyone has any ideas about the problem or the sensors, please help! Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By the way...engine is a 4.0 OHV and the rear axle is limited slip 3.73

Welcome To The Forum, Have you checked to see if there is power at the brown wire going into the transfer case?

Nope. I have not done any power readings. I do have a volt meter. Is that the only wire that does not go to a sensor or the motor? What does it do?

Thanks for helping!

The brown wire supplies power to the tranfer case clutch that engages the 4wd.

Thanks, I will check that...I have been reading a little about the Brown Wire Mod. I don't have a need for it but it does help understand what it does.

I'll post what I find.

Back