2000 ford ranger transmission problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 ford ranger transmission problems

Kyle Steines

Reaction score
City, State
Ophiem
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford ranger 4.0l 4x4
Im new to this forum. Im having trouble with my 5r55e transmission in my ranger. First off i lost reverse and and only had 1st 2nd and 3rd. I ive rebuild a few trans i thought i rebuild this one. The direct clutches were fried so i thought i found the problem. Finished the rebuild put a superior shift kit in the valve body. I still dont have reverse and and forward is there but if u give it more gas is starts to slip. Cant go faster than 15mph. So i bought a rebuilt vb nothing chanced. Left the shift kit out but the pressure riser on the epc wires. Help would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need to get some pressure readings first off. The thing that comes to mind is a failed OD sprag/one way clutch. But in order to to move forward would require you to put it in manual low to get moving and then shift up into drive. Put a pressure gauge on it before you end up smoking the clutch packs. Good luck.

Transman304. Ive done a pressure test and everything is good but my reverse is a bit high. Im starting to think its one of the one ways but not sure. What are ur thoughts?

And i forgot to say only manual 1st moves the truck no other gears are working

If you start it moving in manual low can you shift up through the gears and keep moving?

If you start it moving in manual low can you shift up through the gears and keep moving?
I pulled out my transmission today. Found out the reverse band slipped off servo. And i checked everything. One way clutches are good. Did all pressure tests on all clutch packs all were good but the forward clutch. I put the center support on it to do the pressure test 20psi and it doesnt apply the clutches. Sounds like it leaking around the bearing and seal where the center support attaches to forward hub. So im not sure if thats the problem. When i went to park it garage i to take trans out no reverse but i had forward but i was easy on it driving it in

That could be an issue if forward clutches were not able to fully apply. If you still have the old sealing ring try installing them and recheck. Not sure of brand of overhaul kit used but I have run into poorly made sealing rings in several kits over the past couple years. Also the center support could be worn where the forward drum rings ride. Good luck.

That could be an issue if forward clutches were not able to fully apply. If you still have the old sealing ring try installing them and recheck. Not sure of brand of overhaul kit used but I have run into poorly made sealing rings in several kits over the past couple years. Also the center support could be worn where the forward drum rings ride. Good luck.
What sucks is my kit didnt come with them copper rings and i cant find where to buy them. With the center support the i found new bushing online. Have them ordered. I did find used forward drums i can buy with the copper rings on them but ill be taking a chance there

Did the kit come with plastic rings? What bushing in center support? What brand OH kit are you using? You can use the rings you have now to be able to air test by taking the rings off and put a piece of dental floss around each of the ring lands and then put the rings back on and install inside center support and air check and see if it’s better.

Toled trans kit from www.sealsap.com is the kit im using. If the the dental floss works do i keep the floss wrapped in? There is a sleeve inside the center support thats pressed in.

No dont leave the floss in there! Test just to rule of bad sealing rings. Not sure I have ever seen that part as a replaceable piece. Just get another center support. The picture attached shows where to look at bearing race for cracks that will cause leaks.
0573F774-7999-4A13-A78B-79B6F93BEA95.jpeg

Back