2000 trouble shifting between 2nd & 3rd. "Slipping" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 trouble shifting between 2nd & 3rd. "Slipping"

Reaction score
City, State
trailer park, oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford explorer
My 2000 Eddie Bower v6 started doing thing thing where if I'm just driving in drive when it is time to go from 2 to 3 it kinda gos into free wheel then if I let off the throttle it'll catch 3rd, normally the od light will start blinking. I've been driving it for 6 months like this because I just manually shift it and I run it up to about 30mph then let off the throttle and shift the lever to 3 and it's fine.
I've read about the valve body gasket, but somebody told me this sounded like maybe a servo. Can anybody give me any advice on what it sounds like and if it is a servo how do I fix it?
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the intermediate band is not applying for third gear.

The most common reason for this is a burnt or broken band, the servo can fail also but this usually results in a burnt band anyways.

I would inspect the intermediate band adjustment bolt to make sure it hasn't backed off then drop the pan and look for broken pieces or debris, if there is debris the only way to fix it at that point is to replace it or rebuild it.

Blown out valve body gaskets usually show problems when the transmission is hot and work ok cold.

If it makes any difference it happened all at once one day. So it seems like something broke rather than wore out.
I have replaced a band anchor in my dad's Dodge ram and it could be done in vehicle.
I'm trying to see if it's something like that that I can do my self before I spend $2000 at a trans shop.
I'm going to drop the pan here real soon and see what's in there.
How do I know if a servo is bad?

Either pull the servos out and inspect them or air check them with the valve body off.

OK, I've had several Explorers and Mountaineers (between 1997-2001 models) but last year upgraded (ha ha) to a 2003 Lincoln Aviator. It now has 180,000 miles... I've changed water-pump, power steering pump, all the idler pulleys etc, wheel bearings, oil changes - all the stuff you'd expect in a car of it's age. All was going well for a while, but now transmission issues. It starts and runs, you have to 'coax' it out of 1st into 2nd (either accelerate gently, or lift off slightly) - it goes from 2nd into 3rd OK, but no higher. Research led me to the AJ1E servo kit - was wondering if there are any members who've tried it. I think I'm fairly handy (see all work above) but apprehensive about playing with the transmission. It'll be done on the driveway on jacks/stands - it seems do-able. Anyone done it successfully? Any tips/hints? (and if anyone knows how to get rid of 'check charging system' warning light (changed alternator, battery, fusible links etc - car starts fine, no charging issues) - all help appreciated. If I need to post this elsewhere, please advise. Thanks again.

Back