2001 4-door Explorer

Paul B.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Orange, CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
I just received my weekly AutoWeek Mag. today, and inside on the second page they show the new 2001 4-door Explorer. The short article on it stated that for the Ford Explorer, progress means getting a independent rear suspension, a significant advance for an SUV. Also it will get a more broad-shouldered look and an F-150/Expendition style eggcrate grille when it debuts. The Explorer will also offer a third seat. Sounds interesting. The issue is the Dec.6, 1999 if you want to take a look at it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I saw it too, it doesn't look that bad really. I might try and scan a pick to send to rick so he can post it. I just have to figure out how to get the mag through my scanner without it getting caught inside.

Paul- Tell Trailmaster or some other lift company about your idea. If you pantent a design, you can sell it to the company and make a pretty good buck off it. Just make sure you patent it before you submit it.

The grille is good news. It will look a lot better than the Mazda MPV style grille that is in those other pictures. You know I don't think that IRS is all that bad. If someone gets really creative there could be a long travel IRS out there one day. I actually have an idea already (and a similar one for the IFS), not that I will be buying on anytime soon but I have an idea none the less. And it doesn't include drop brackets!

------------------
Paul Gagnon
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

[This message has been edited by Paul Gagnon (edited 12-05-1999).]

Just off the presses:

From the January, 2000 Four Wheeler Magazine (page 18) comes the following:

"All two door models, we're told, will be Sport models with a live rear axle, while the four-door models will have rear independent rear suspension for improved road handling and precision."

So, it looks like the Sport will be aimed at the off road crowd, while the 4-door models will be marketed towards the large suburbanite crowd.

------------------
Tom

What about us suburbanite off roaders? Where do they think WE live?

------------------
Paul Gagnon
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

Yeah, Paul, I know what you mean. I'm one of those myself. I guess I was thinking of those who never leave the pavement (at least not intentionally). Dead Link Removed

------------------
Tom

Any chance you can post this picture?

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD
Warrior Twist

Does any one have the picture of the 4 door 2001 or no where i can get it on the internet?

Hi,

I'm sending a JPEG to Rick so that he can post it if he wishes. It was a small picture, so it doesn't really show much. I scanned it at as high a resolution as I could.

------------------
Tom

PS - Whoops!!! the picture was a 2-door, so I guess you won't see a 4-door for a while yet. I noticed this after I scanned, cleaned, and sized the picture up then sent it to Rick. So, Rick will be getting a couple of extra e-mails today.

[This message has been edited by Tom Wilk (edited 12-08-1999).]

I will try an scan the picture from my AutoWeek mag.

Yes i am sure many peaple are interested in seeing them

later

------------------
Phil
'99 XLT SOHC 4x4

Well just purchased (two weeks ago) my 2001 explorer sport... LOVE IT... Does anyone know is that new TrailMaster 4" lift will work with the 2001??? (it works witht the 2000) ... Do they have the same suspension?

Thanks,

-Kevin

Not that this is much help, but I went to the auto show here and the explorer that I saw had a third seat that faced to the rear. I didn't pay much attention Dead Link Removed but the seats were all the way against the lift gate, there is noway anyone can sit in them. I tried to scoot them back but couldn't do it and I didn't see any tracks that is might sit in so... I was in a hurry though. It does look ok, so does the new mini suv. I wish I wouldn't have been so interested in the new lexus, but what can ya' do.

Which new Lexus, the LS430 or the new Sport Coupe? Don't be ashamed, they're nice cars. Can't ford a stream, but great on the highway Dead Link Removed

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
97 Explorer Limited 4X4 SOHC V6
98 Lexus LS400

I was gawking at the new IS300, what a sweet car, the ES300 is the only one I have ever driven but I'm going to try and get the IS when it comes out.

I am interested in seeing the pics too. The new ones look more like the Expeditions i think...

------------------
TravisN1@AOL.COM
1995 XLT 4x4

Of course I forgot the IS300! I've actually driven a European-spec IS200 (Same car but with a 2 liter I4). It is a VERY fun car, very german. My LS400 is a beuatiful car, and it's beautiful to drive, but I wouldn't really say it feels like a "driving machene", like say a BMW would feel. The IS feels like a machine. If you've only driven the ES300, drive some of the others. The ES isn't really a good gauge of the entire Lexus line. Nice car but it's a Camry through and through. Enough rambling about Lexus and annoying everyone, back to Explorers Dead Link Removed

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure, thats intentional. Ford wants to provide a family resemblence in it's truck lineup.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

Back