• Register Today It's free!

2001 brake problems (help)

califjeff2001

Reaction score
City, State
Placerville ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac
My friend has a 2001 explorer sport trac 2wd 4.0 v6.
I helped him replace the front rotors, calipers, and pads (very bad).
Before we started i noticed he had no brake fluid because the caliper was bad, So we replaced all the parts listed above and bled the the brakes 3 times (no signs of air after the last bled).The problem is with it setting (not running) you pump up the brakes and we get a little better pedal but when we start it it goes to the floor every time and no signs of leaks any where.
Any help would be great
Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you bleed out the master cylinder? Calipers on the correct side with the bleeder valve up?

We bled the master cylinder, what do you mean by Calipers on the correct side with the bleeder valve up? We started with the back passenger side and then rear driver side then front passenger side and then front driver side last.
Thanks

You said you replaced the calipers. I have seen people remove them both to take in for cores and then put them on the wrong side when reinstalling them. If that's done and the bleeder is on the bottom the top of the caliper will not get purged of air when they are bled.......just a thought.

You bled them in the proper sequence.

The problem is with it setting (not running) you pump up the brakes and we get a little better pedal but when we start it it goes to the floor every time and no signs of leaks any where.
That indicates the booster is properly operating also.....except the going all the way to the floor part.

Was the caliper leaking? Sounding like a bad master cylinder.

know that you say that i think thats what we did, we took them off for the core charge and know that i think about it the calipers might be backwards i think the bleeder is on the bottom. tomorrow i'll pull them off and switch them and bleed them again, makes sinces know that you say it. The caliper on the drivers side was leaking, when i removed the driver side caliper the pad on the outside looked normal but the inside pad was gone, only thing left was the then metal squeak device that goes over the pad.
thanks
Jeff

It's an easy mistake to make. Hope the fix is that cheap !!

You and me both, on the good side it looks good.
Thanks

Check the calipers to make sure their on correct and also did you bleed the lines in the correct order: RR, LR, RF, LF. If you didn't do it in this order you won't get all the air out and won't know it. Good luck and keep us posted on updates.

Bingo, thats what it was i had the calipers on the wrong side.
Switched them around and bleed the brakes and know they work great.
Thanks for all the info.
Jeff

Bingo, thats what it was i had the calipers on the wrong side.
Switched them around and bleed the brakes and know they work great.
Thanks for all the info.
Jeff

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D

bleeding master cylinder

I just read this post and saw a comment about bleeding the master cylinder> I have bled a new one before installing how do you bleed it while installed did I forget something?

This one had a bleeder on the side like the calipers do, First time i ever seen one on a master cylinder.

Back