2001 Eddie Bauer Explorer Start issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Eddie Bauer Explorer Start issues

thepandaexperience

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mill South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Ive got a weird one here that kindof breaks the rules, i went to my girlfriends house and did not notice that once we had unloaded the passengers side door was open, clueless of our mistake we never went back outside. until in the moring when i tried to start the truck and nothing...

Not Exactly nothing i opened the door and the map lights came on, put the key in the ignition and the door chimes were ringing because i hadent closed my door, the lights were bright and the sound was loud. but the truck did nothing, so i figured, dead battery. Nope charged the battery and reconditioned it for 24h no start, dug in some more and found my #5 fuse (ignition and starter) was BLOWN? That brings me to my first question... how could leaving a door open blow a starter fuse? the car had no issues starting before an up until now.
so i replace the 50A fuse with a brand new one run around and try to start it, and nothing but a pop. The fuse had blown again. and this is where i am stuck. also my headlights work as well as the horn only when i use the key fob and it chirps. my radio/ac panel/ information panel with mileage etc... all do not work until i put a new fuse in the #5 location and all work until i try to start the car and pop the fuse.

PLEASE HELP.

Most likely a defective starter or starter solenoid. Operating the solenoid when you try to start it is putting a hard ground on the starter feed and blowing that big fuse. Good luck.

Most likely a defective starter or starter solenoid. Operating the solenoid when you try to start it is putting a hard ground on the starter feed and blowing that big fuse. Good luck.

^
I agree. Door being left open was just a coincidence. When a fuse blows you have short to ground.

Back