• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer exhaust mods.

Wilbanks5276

Reaction score
City, State
Saltillo mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT
Hey guys I'm pretty new here and needed some help with my exaust. I want to make it louder but I don't want it to sound like a pissed-off bumblebee. I've looked at the flowmaster super44 but and I like the way it sounds but I've had friends who say straight pipes or a cherry bomb would sound good. I've got an 01 explorer with 4.0 v6 any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

imo straight pipes on anything but a V8 sound like garbage.

Have you considered Magnaflow?

i got single in and dual out 40 series flows on my 01 sport

imo straight pipes on anything but a V8 sound like garbage.

Have you considered Magnaflow?

I had a Magnaflow on my '00 Sport w/ V6 and it sounded like ass. To put it simply, my wife says very little about my trucks and mods. She did call my truck a "riceburner" after I installed the Magnaflow on that truck. I removed the Magnaflow after a month and replaced it with a Flowmaster 50 Series (SUV model) and it sounded much better.

The Magnaflow droned like crazy too. I'm told that the drone in 2 door (like I had) isn't as bad on the 4 door, but I'd never recommend a Magnaflow for the V6 SOHC. Was very whiney and "inconsistent" at various revs.

I've got the Magnaflow in the garage right now. I'll slap it into my 5.0 setup someday maybe. Right now I'm really happy with my Flo Pro. I have no idea how they sound on the V6.

No one will ever convince me a V6 can sound like a V8 with ANY system. Only a V8 sounds like a V8. :)

There are TONS of threads in the archives on this topic. You'll get much better info if you search the archives as this site has been in existence longer than your truck has.

How does it sound I don't want it to be too loud but I want it to rumble

I have the Flowmaster 70 series on my SOHC. I really like it. A deeper rumble/growl, but nothing obnoxious. The 50 series might be a better option for a little louder tone.

I have the Flowmaster 70 series on my SOHC. I really like it. A deeper rumble/growl, but nothing obnoxious. The 50 series might be a better option for a little louder tone.

Alidive used to rave about the 70 series on his SOHC. I would definitely consider that route. I am into custom exhaust for the performance and not for the sound. 70 series is mentioned often for performance without it being too loud.

I still needed to put an aftermarket resonator in to tame the drone on my old Sport.

Back