2001 Explorer factory Subwoofer install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer factory Subwoofer install

Joeetogo90

Reaction score
City, State
Ripon, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
I went to a junkyard today and purchased the factory subwoofer and amp for $10 but my explorer was not equipped with one originally so I was wondering is it possible to wire this to the factory CD/cassette combo radio? I also grabbed the wire harness that goes from the amp all the way up where it meets with a plug by the passenger side kick panel, so I would need to know what wires to tap into. I've been looking online but can find anything close to my situation. If it can't be wired to the factory head unit, would I be able to wire it to an aftermarket unit?
I have a 2001 explorer xlt.

Thanks much!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Save the headache. Use the OEM enclosure, put an aftermarket sub in it. Add an aftermarket amp and a hi-low converter. That's what I did in my "Budget Bass" project.

Save the headache. Use the OEM enclosure, put an aftermarket sub in it. Add an aftermarket amp and a hi-low converter. That's what I did in my "Budget Bass" project.

I'll do that then! I was hoping to keep the factory head unit for the sake of look, but I'll just end up putting a new head unit in and see how it all sounds. Already replaced the door speakers with aftermarket! On ebay I found a BOSS CX8 sub for 30ish dollars.

@Joeetogo90 , I am still using my OEM head unit.

I'm not too familiar with the High-Low converters. Would I just tap into the rear speaker wires for the sub? Also are they pretty easy to hook up to an amp? Sorry, I just don't know a whole lot about this stuff actually lol. Last time I hooked up anything was in my 2000 grand prix gtp 5 years ago.

I tapped the rear speaker wires right after the OEM amp. I tried to tap right before the OEM amp, but it was not enough signal. From the high-low converter, I ran RCA cables to an aftermarket amp.

Click on image for larger view
h_b0073da6-b23e-4afe-8a84-5e29abaf127a_zpsf7b48f02.jpg
th_V12_mounted2.jpg

looks good! I'll mess around with this in a few weeks when it's not so cold. The temp was -8 where I'm at in wisconsin! LOL

My OEM stereo was removed by previous owner but I had all the original speakers including factory sub. What I did was installed a cheap aftermarket sub amplifier with high level inputs (uses audio from the headunit speaker wires) then I tapped the speaker wires on the factory amplifiers output to the sub. Works like a charm now.

Where is the factory sub located?

Passenger side rear cargo area. If you don't have one, might be a pocket or storage area there.

In this image, it's where that tan cover is located.

Click on image for larger view
th_106_0692.jpg

I dident even know some came with these. Im gonna have to look for one next time i go junkin, thank u

Back