Wanted - 2001 Explorer Motor 4.0 SOHC 8th digit in Vin#E | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted 2001 Explorer Motor 4.0 SOHC 8th digit in Vin#E

Parts or services wanted

nipits

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLS
Hello I am looking for a 2001 Ford Explorer XLS 4Dr 4x4 4.0 liter SOHC
Motor With the 8th digit in the Vin # being the letter E.
I believe it is a one year engine and can only be replaced by
the same year and the Letter E in the vin # is a must.
Let me know if anybody can hook me up with something
that would have reasonable miles on it or I guess whatever
is really available.

Thanks
nipits@gmail.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello I am looking for a 2001 Ford Explorer XLS 4Dr 4x4 4.0 liter SOHC
Motor With the 8th digit in the Vin # being the letter E.
I believe it is a one year engine and can only be replaced by
the same year and the Letter E in the vin # is a must.
FYI - The Vin-E is a SOHC, Vin-X is an OHV

The 4x4 versions of the SOHC have an extra "balancer shaft" inside to help eliminate some possible vibrations/reverberations.
There are people who successfully used the 2WD engines in a 4x4 without problems...
Essentially the "long blocks" are all the same from 1997-2002, with an improvement done for the timing chains in 2003-up. I think - don't quote me on this, but after a certain year, all have the balancer shaft.
As long as you keep your intake/injectors, you can use any of the years.
Just went though all the research last year for my Son's '97 replacement...
Good luck!

ANY 4.0l SOHC long block can be swapped in, even one from a Mustang. Its just a matter of using your intake and exhaust. Dont believe that "one year engine" BS! The engine itself is the same.

looking to swap a 4.0 sohc june of 2000 motor into a march of 2003 vehicle...Does anyone know if this will work?

ANY 4.0l SOHC long block can be swapped in, even one from a Mustang. Its just a matter of using your intake and exhaust. Dont believe that "one year engine" BS! The engine itself is the same.

How come my 01 Sport engine has a crank sensor in the front of the harmonic balancer and the 2000 and 98 that I have don't ..................... where is it on the older engines ??????

How come my 01 Sport engine has a crank sensor in the front of the harmonic balancer and the 2000 and 98 that I have don't ..................... where is it on the older engines ??????

Every 4.0l has a crank sensor, SOHC or OHV. If it didnt the EDIS wouldnt work. Look again.

So, just to review:

ANY SOHC will take my intake and exhaust and bolt into my '98?

Planning for the future here.....:p:

Whats the difference between the 4.0 sohc in your 2000 4x4 explorer with the eight vin code E, and a 2005 ranger 4x4 with eight vin code E

I'm a little late to the party haha. But I want to put my 1998 sport motor in my 2001 explorer limited there both sohc 4.0 vin e 4x4. I heard i need to use the upper intake, wiring harness, and cam sensor from the 2001 on the 98 motor. Looks like I need to use the exhaust manifold to? Is there anything else I need to use from the old 2001 motor to put on the 98 motor to make it work in my 2001. Hopefully someone can help.Thank you!

I'm a little late to the party haha. But I want to put my 1998 sport motor in my 2001 explorer limited there both sohc 4.0 vin e 4x4. I heard i need to use the upper intake, wiring harness, and cam sensor from the 2001 on the 98 motor. Looks like I need to use the exhaust manifold to? Is there anything else I need to use from the old 2001 motor to put on the 98 motor to make it work in my 2001. Hopefully someone can help.Thank you!
Your best bet is to strip it to a long block, including sensors, and swap everything over.

If that where an option. The 01 motor blew a head and Is in pieces not sure if it's all there that's why I only want to change what is necessary.

Long block is an automotive term for an engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft (usually), and valve train. A long block does not include fuel system, electrical, intake, and exhaust components, as well as other components (see below for a more complete list).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_block

Well thanks for the info. I'm probably in over my head. I'm more scared to try this than trying to rebuild a transmission how that works idk haha. Maybe I'll just pull the motor and send it all to the shop.

Well thanks for the info. I'm probably in over my head. I'm more scared to try this than trying to rebuild a transmission how that works idk haha. Maybe I'll just pull the motor and send it all to the shop.

Its not that hard, if you have the replacement engine, pull the valve covers, intake, exhaust, fuel rail and injectors, maybe oil pan. Then pull all the sensors. Take all the same parts off the old engine and swap them over.

Yea I'm still gonna go for it! I'm just nervous don't wanna end up with 2 non running cars haha. But that makes it sound Doable. Attest I have a 3rd one to use as a reference kinda. Everything sounds pretty simple except maybe the valve covers? Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I should look up a guide on it ? Anything I have to mess with under the valve covers or just New gasket and put both valve covers form the 01 on. Really appreciate the help!

Gaskets are rubber and resuable I do believe. Intake gaskets will need to be swapped. If you have the valve cover gaskets off, have a look at the timing set and make sure it isn't shattered or its all for not.

The timing in the 01 is broke when whoever took it apart without pulling motor. The timing on the 98 is good shape ill look as well tho. The donor truck is mine motor runs strong. it had a bad transmission that's why I got the 01. Just ended up being a lot nicer so I want to keep it. Instead. Plus I don't need to sport models I my daily right know is a 99 lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back