2001 Explorer Sport airbag problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport airbag problem

Lee_A

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
The front airbags on my wife's 2001 Explorer Sport were replaced after my wife tapped a wall at 5mph. Anyway, I took it to a body shop instead of the dealer to cut cost since I was going to pay out of pocket and not involve the insurance company. The believe airbag light is flashing 36, but I'll have to check later today. The shop couldn't clear the code so I had an airbag service company with the proper diagnostic tools to take a look. They determined that there was a problem with the side airbag in the driver's seat. The technician was able to clear the code when the side airbag was not part of the diagnostic (He clamped it off or something). I suspect that the wrong airbag computer/diagnostic unit was installed, one that was for an Explorer without side airbags. I recall the body shop asking if the Explorer had side bags at one point in time. Does anyone know the part number for the airbag computer/diagnostic unit and how to check what was installed on my vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

-Lee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the link. I read through it and my airbag light isn't intermittent. Its on all the time. I'll check the code this evening.

Just checked out the code, its 3-6. Can someone tell me how to locate the airbag computer?

Not sure if this could help or not......

TSB
03-24-1 ELECTRICAL - AIRBAG LAMP ILLUMINATED - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC'S) B1994 AND/OR B1998

Publication Date: November 17, 2003

FORD: 1999-2001 EXPLORER SPORT, EXPLORER
MERCURY: 1999-2001 MOUNTAINEER

This article supersedes TSB 01-1-10 to update the model years and vehicle line coverage.

ISSUE:
Some 1999-2001 Explorer/Mountaineer 4DR and Explorer Sport 2DR vehicles may exhibit an airbag lamp illuminated intermittently with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) B1994 or B1998 stored in memory. This may be due to a high resistance or poor connections in the side air bag (SAB) wiring harness circuits or restraints control module. This condition may occur on vehicles equipped with, or without, side air bags.

ACTION:
To service, install an overlay harness which incorporates soldered terminals and tin wiring. Refer to the service procedure for direction on which side air bag kit to order. Installation instructions and illustrations are included in the kit.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

FOR VEHICLES WITHOUT THE (SAB), FOURTH DIGIT OF VIN IS "Y" OR "Z" :

Install a new Non-SAB wire harness kit 3L2Z-14B455-AB. Refer to the installation instruction sheet included in the kit.
FOR VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH (SAB), FOURTH DIGIT OF VIN IS "C" OR "D" :

Install the appropriate harnesses as indicated below. Refer to the installation instruction sheet included in the kit.
1999-2001 4DR Limited Explorer XL2Z-14B455-DB
1999-2001 4DR Explorer (except Limited) and Mountaineer XL2Z-14B455-AC
1999-2000 2DR Explorer XL2Z-14B455-BC
2001 2DR Explorer 1L2Z-14B455-AC

-Joe

Joe,

I wish the TSB you posted applied to my situation as this sounds like an easy fix. My light is always on after flashing the 3-6 code. Do you know where I can locate the airbag computer so I can check the part number? The body shop had initially installed one that was for explorers w/o side aribags, but mine has them. The shop said it had replaced the part with the right one, but I want to be sure.

Thanks,

Lee

Ignore that second PM I sent you...... The first one listed the location as being behind the passenger side cowl. More on that in a minute....

Lamp Fault Code #36 comes back with a few things:

DTC LFC LFC Priority
B1993 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground GO to Pinpoint Test V.
B1992 36 24 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition GO to Pinpoint Test W.
B1994 36 26 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Resistance High GO to Pinpoint Test X.
B1995 36 28 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Resistance Low GO to Pinpoint Test Y.

To get the cowl (AKA kick-panel) off, you have to pull the step pad off the doorways, then pop the cowl off.

You can check the part numbers if you want to, but all those issues point towards the driver's side airbag.... it could be the driver's side airbag sliding contacts if they were damaged during the repair, or something in the wiring to it.... That's where I'd put my money.

Hope that helps!

Oh, and if they can't figure it out, it might be worth it to take it to a stealership.

-Joe

Looking at the numbers, the LFC seems to coincide with the DTC numbers included in the TSB. It could certainly be worth looking into. Yet another reason I'd think about taking it to the dealership, but that's just me....

-Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the LFC codes. I'm trying to avoid the dealership at all costs as they will charge me an arm and a leg for the new airbag. I'm selling the Explorer so I'm trying to get this issue resolved without breaking the bank. I still want to check the computer part number just to be sure that the correct part was installed or else this could go on and on and cost me hundreds of wasted dollars.

I'm not sure what a "cowl" or kick-panel is. Can you dummy down your instructions.

Thanks again,

Lee

Back